Road to the Championship
The Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee will conduct selections for the 2016 NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship. The 16-team field will be selected from 59 NCAA Division I institutions sponsoring the sport of men’s ice hockey. Of the 16 teams, 6 conference champions will receive automatic qualification with the remaining best 10 teams being selected on an at-large basis. A total of 4 teams will be seeded with each of the seeded teams being placed at 1 regional site. The 16-team field will be announced Sunday, March 20.
• 2015 Division I Men's Ice Hockey Selections
• View Interactive Bracket
Selection Show - March 20, 2016
The NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship bracket will be announced Sunday, March 20 at Noon ET on ESPNU.
Regionals (Predetermined) - March 25-27, 2016
Regionals for the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship will be held March 25-27 at 4 locations.
• MIDWEST (March 25 & 26) – Cincinnati, Ohio | U.S. Bank Arena | Hosted by Miami University
• NORTHEAST (March 25 & 26) – Worcester, Mass. | DCU Center | Hosted by the College of the Holy Cross
• EAST (March 26 & 27) – Albany, N.Y. | Times Union Center | Hosted by ECAC Hockey
• WEST (March 26 & 27) – Saint Paul, Minn. | Xcel Energy Center | Hosted by the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
At each site, 4 teams will compete in single-elimination Regional Semifinal competition. The 2 winning teams will then compete against each other in single-elimination Regional Final competition at the same site. The winning team from each of the 4 Regionals will advance to the Frozen Four in Tampa Bay, Fla.
Frozen Four - April 7 & 9, 2016
The 2016 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four will be held at Amalie Arena in Tampa, Fla. National Semifinals will be held April 7, and the National Championship will take place April 9. This is the 69th annual NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship and the 2nd time that the city of Tampa (2012) will host this premier college men’s ice hockey championship event.
• Selection Show: March 20 - Noon ET (ESPNU)
• Regionals will be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks
• National Semifinals: April 7 - 5 & 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
• National Championship: April 9 - 8 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
• Broadcast Schedule
Future Dates and Sites
• Complete List
March 19 – Selection Show
March 24-26 – Regionals
• East (March 24 & 25) - Providence, R.I. | Dunkin' Donuts Center | Hosted by Brown University
• West (March 24 & 25) - Fargo, N.D. | Scheels Arena | Hosted by the University of North Dakota
• Midwest (March 25 & 26) - Cincinnati, Ohio | U.S. Bank Arena | Hosted by Miami University
• Northeast (March 25 & 26) - Manchester, N.H. | Verizon Wireless Arena | Hosted by the University of New Hampshire
April 6 & 8 – Frozen Four
• Chicago | United Center | Hosted by the University of Notre Dame and the Chicago Sports Commission
March 18 – Selection Show
March 23-25 – Regionals
April 5 & 7 – Frozen Four (St. Paul, Minn.)