Road to the Championship
The Division I Softball Committee will conduct selections for the 2016 NCAA Division I Softball Championship May 15, 2016. The 64-team field will be selected from 283 NCAA Division I institutions sponsoring the sport of softball. Of the 64 teams, 32 teams will receive automatic qualification with the remaining best 32 teams selected on an at-large basis. Sixteen teams will be seeded and each of the seeded teams will be placed at one of the regional sites.
• View Interactive Bracket
The 2016 NCAA Division I Softball Championship bracket was announced Sunday, May 15, 2016 on ESPNU at 10 p.m. ET.
Regionals for the NCAA Division I Softball Championship was held May 20-22, 2016 on 16 campus sites. At each campus site, a four-team, double-elimination tournament was conducted and the 16 winning teams advanced to the Super Regionals.
Super Regionals (Non-Predetermined)
Super Regionals for the NCAA Division I Softball Championship will be held May 26-29, 2016 on 8 campus sites. At each site, two teams play in a best-of-three tournament format. The winners from each site advance to the NCAA Women’s College World Series.
The 2016 NCAA Women’s College World Series will be held at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium - OGE Energy Field in Oklahoma City, June 2-8. This is the 35th annual NCAA Division I Softball Championship and the 26th time that Oklahoma City and ASA Hall of Fame Stadium - OGE Energy Field will host this premier college softball championship event.
• Selection Show (championship bracket is announced) – May 15, 2016 on ESPNU 10 p.m. ET.
• Select Regional and all Super Regional sites will be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks.
• All 15-17 games of this year’s WCWS will be broadcasted on the ESPN family of networks (ESPN, ESPN2 and/or ESPNU).
• Broadcast Schedule
- 2016 WCWS REVISED BROADCAST SCHEDULE (ALL GAME TIMES ARE CT)
- All TV game times and networks are subject to change.
- Thursday, June 2 – Session 1 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on ESPN
- Friday, June 3 – Session 2 at 6 and 8:30 p.m. on ESPN2
- Saturday, June 4 – Session 4 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on ESPN
- Saturday, June 4 – Session 3 at 6 and 8:30 p.m. on ESPN2
- Sunday, June 5 – Session 5 at Noon and 2:30 p.m. on ESPN and ESPN2
- Sunday, June 5 – Session 6 at 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on ESPN2
- Monday, June 6 – Session 7 (if necessary) at 6 and 8:30 p.m. on ESPN
- CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS
- June 6 or 7 – Session 8 Championship Series Game 1 at 6 p.m. on ESPN^
- June 7 or 8 – Session 9 Championship Series Game 2 at 7 p.m. on ESPN^
- June 8 or 9 – Session 10 (if necessary) Championship Series Game 3 at 6 p.m. or 7 p.m. on ESPN^
- ^If there are no “if necessary” games then Game 1 of the championship finals will be begin on Monday, June 6th. If one or more “if necessary” game(s) is played, then the championship finals will begin on Tuesday, June 7th.
Future Dates and Sites
May 14 – Selection Show
May 19-21 – Regionals
May 25-28 – Super Regionals
June 1-7 – WCWS
May 13 – Selection Show
May 18-20 – Regionals
May 24-27 – Super Regionals
May 31-June 6 – WCWS