March Madness Music Festival FAQ's
Where is Discovery Green® park?
Discovery Green is located on the eastern edge of downtown Houston, across from the George R. Brown Convention Center. Entrances are located on Lamar Street and McKinney Street.
How is this festival different than most events at Discovery Green park?
Discovery Green hosts hundreds of events a year from concerts to art shows. Below are a few items specific to March Madness Music Festival to know before arriving:
• Gate Entry: Entry into the park is free (no ticket required), however, all guests will be wanded with a metal detector prior to entering.
• Bags: Only small bags 5.5” by 8.5” or smaller will be allowed inside the festival with the exception of clear bags. Clear plastic bags up to 12”x6”x12” are permitted. Please see approved and prohibited bags at the bottom of the page.
• Chairs: Chairs will not be allowed inside the park or provided by the festival. Wheelchairs and other adaptive vehicles will be permitted.
• Special Seating: As the March Madness Music Festival is a first come, first served event that is also free of charge, fans are encouraged to arrive early in order to secure best location for their entertainment and physical needs. The festival does not have special seating areas for viewing.
• Food: Absolutely no food or drink can be brought into the park. Attendees will be able to purchase from concessions and beverage stands throughout the festival once inside.
• Umbrellas: Umbrellas, and any other items that obstructs other guests’ views, are prohibited. Please dress accordingly in case of inclement weather.
Do I need to purchase a wristband for entry? Will re-entry be allowed throughout the weekend?
No wristband or ticket is necessary. Event entry will be permitted on a first-come, first serve basis. Event entry will be permitted until the park capacity has been reached.
What do I need to enter the festival?
Nothing, the event is free.
Do you have to be a certain age to attend?
No, this event is open to all ages.
What type of bags are allowed inside the festival?
No bags larger than 5.5” by 8.5” allowed (Clear Plastic bags up to 12”x6”x12” are permitted). See approved and prohibited bags below.
What if it rains?
March Madness Music festival is a rain or shine event. Please check the weather prior to arriving so you are dressed appropriately. Note that umbrellas will not be permitted inside the festival. Festival event managers will work with local law enforcement and media outlets to inform the public in case dangerous weather approaches which would force the festival to close.
When do the festival gates open and close?
Friday, 4 – 10:00 p.m.; Saturday, noon – 9:00 p.m.; Sunday 3 – 10:00 p.m.
What’s the best time to arrive?
Come early as large crowds are expected and there is no reserved seating.
What is the best mode of transportation to the festival?
Parking will be available at the downtown parking lots. Houston’s METRORail offers a fast and convenient way to travel through Downtown Houston, the Museum District, Texas Medical Center and Moody Park. The Green and Purple Lines connect the Theater District on the west side of Downtown to the Convention District (Discovery Green) on the east side of Downtown and all the way to the East End and the University of Houston main campus. When visiting Discovery Green, connect to the Green or Purple Line and get off at the Convention District stop. Learn more about the rail at ridemetro.org.
Can I ride my bike?
Bike Valet will be available free of charge outside the festival grounds for bike storage throughout the day courtesy of Bike Houston. It will be located on McKinney Street between Austin and LaBranch, and will be open one hour prior to the festival opening and open one hour after the festival closes. Look for the Bike Houston Tent.
Besides the musical acts, is anything else happening?
Inside the festival will be multiple sponsor activations with giveaways and interactives, concessions, and merchandise sales.
Should I bring cash or a credit card?
Cash and credit cards will be accepted by vendors throughout the Festival. ATMs will also be available inside the event.
Will there be food options?
A variety of concessions and food trucks will be available throughout the festival grounds.
What are acceptable forms of ID to purchase alcohol with?
Driver's license or Government issued ID.
Can I pass out flyers inside or outside the festival?
No, this is not permitted.
Where can I purchase NCAA Final Four tickets, find activities with daily schedules going on within Houston, and other event information?
The NCAA® Final Four® Houston App presented by AT&T is the official app to help you make the most of all of the excitement and events over Final Four® weekend in and around Houston! Find all of the must-see activities with daily schedules, event information, and even buy tickets right through the app. NCAA.com/MFFApp
If you have questions or require our assistance to accommodate a special need (i.e., provision of an assistive listening device, sign language interpreter or other auxiliary aid), please contact Discovery Green prior to the event Please note that a 2-week notice is required for any request to provide a sign language interpreter. To enable us to respond in a manner most helpful to you, please indicate the nature of your accessibility problem, the preferred auxiliary aid, and your contact information.
• All guests and items (small purses, clear bags, etc) are subject to physical inspection by security personnel, and anyone not agreeing to this search will be restricted from entering the event
• No bags larger than 5.5” by 8.5” (Clear Plastic bags up to 12”x6”x12” are permitted)
• No pets (service animals permitted with proper identification)
• No strollers or wagons
• No bottles, cans, liquid containers or coolers (except for guests with medical or dietary needs)
• No food or beverage not dispensed by the Event Concessionaire
• No video recorders, or still cameras with lenses longer than 4 inches
• No weapons and/or firearms of any kind
• No missile-like objects
• No laser pointers
• No artificial noisemakers
• No poles or sticks of any kind
• No objects that obstruct other guests’ view, including umbrellas
• No folding chairs, bikes or other large personal items
• No hover boards / scooters
• No promotional items with commercial slogans or identification without written consent from the NCAA®
• Any item deemed dangerous or inappropriate by management will not be allowed at The NCAA March Madness® Music Festival
• Confiscated items will be disposed of and not returned
• No beach balls or basketballs larger than 29.5 inches in circumference (regulation size of a basketball)
• Please note: This show may contain heavy strobe lighting and laser lighting
• Items left in vehicles should be stored out of sight.