Season Tip-Off History & Fun Facts
• 2012 will mark the 28th NIT Season Tip-Off since the event began in 1985. The semifinals and finals have been played at Madison Square Garden each of the 28 seasons.
• 79 of the 108 teams to advance to the NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals have advanced to the NCAA tournament.
• Each of the three semifinalists in the first NIT Season Tip-Off in 1985 advanced to at least the second round of the 1986 NCAA tournament. Three of the teams, Duke, Kansas and eventual national champion Louisville advanced to the Final Four.
• Lamar will make only its second appearance in the NIT Season Tip-Off after playing in the inaugural event in 1985.
• A team that has advanced to the NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals and then won the NCAA National Championship six times (last by Duke in 2009-10).
• 12 teams advanced to the Final Four after playing in the NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals.
• Duke holds the NIT Season Tip-Off records for most appearances (tied with Arizona with six), championships (four), games played (24) and wins (22). The Blue Devils also have the longest current winning streak having won their last 12 NIT Season Tip-Off games.
• Michigan has the most NIT Season Tip-Off wins among teams in the 2012 field. The Wolverines are 5-5 all-time in the NIT Season Tip-Off advancing to the semifinals twice in three previous appearances.
• Pittsburgh is one of only two teams in the 2012 NIT Season Tip-Off field to have advanced to the NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals (Michigan being the other). The Panthers finished third at the 1991 event which is the only previous NIT Season Tip-Off appearance for Pitt.