Division III Weekend Review
Wesley College’s Murphy stretches hit streak to 40 games
• Wesley College’s Kevin Murphy stretched his hitting streak to a school-record 40 games, helping his team in a doubleheader sweep of CCNY. The senior also surpassed the Capital Athletic Conference’s hitting streak mark during the weekend. He is now tied for the sixth-longest hitting streak in Division III history. He also tied the school record for all-time hits with 198.
• No. 12 Marietta College started the 2011 season with a trio of road victories at the Rhodes College Classic, including a 9-2 win against Emory on Sunday.
• Kean sophomore Kevin Herget retired the final 16 batters in a complete-game 5-3 victory against Eastern Connecticut State on Sunday as the Cougars improved to 4-0. Hergert scattered seven hits and struck out 10 batters in the outing.
• After running its season-opening winning streak to nine games, the University of Mary Washington fell 2-0 to Dickinson in the second game of a doubleheader on Sunday.
• Trinity (Texas) remained perfect in Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference play, sweeping a three-game series against Hendrix to move to 5-0 in league action. The Tigers needed a game-winning sacrifice fly with an RBI from Kevin Jackson to earn an 8-7 victory in the final inning of play.
• The University of Mary Washington ran its season-opening win streak to nine games by scoring three runs in their final at bat in the opener for a 4-3 victory, but fell 2-0 in the nightcap of their Sunday doubleheader at Dickinson Stadium to move to 9-1.