CWS What to Watch: June 18
|Did You Know: Texas head coach Augie Garrido improved to 19-9 when his team faces elimination from the CWS with the Longhorns' 4-1 win vs. Louisville on Monday.||Did You Know: UC Irvine's four runs in the second inning of Monday's 6-4 winner's bracket loss vs. Vanderbilt is the most scored in one inning by any team in this year's CWS.|
|On the Bump: Chad Hollingsworth's only previous start this season was a complete-game two hitter in a regional win vs. Texas A&M. In 24 appearances, his ERA is 1.36.||On the Bump: Evan Manarino will make his 11th start of the season. He threw two-thirds of an inning of relief on Saturday vs. Texas, allowing one hit, no runs and striking out one.|
|In the Box: Collin Shaw, a .269 hitter for the season, is averaging .391 in the NCAA tournament. He has two hits in each of the past two games.||In the Box: Connor Spencer is 11-for-30 and he leads the team with 6 RBI in the 2014 NCAA tournament. For the season, he leads the Anteaters with a .362 average.|
|Pepper: Wednesday's elimination game will be a rematch of the first round. UC Irvine opened the College World Series with a 3-1 win against Texas on Saturday. The Anteaters rallied with four runs in the eighth for the win. The winner on Wednesday will move on to play Vanderbilt on Friday. Another win in that game would force a second game on Saturday, while the Commodores (2-0 in the CWS) advance to the final series with a win on Friday.
• Texas and UC Irvine are first and second in the country, respectively, in sacrifice bunts. So it was no surprise that the first meeting saw six (two by Texas, four by UC Irvine).
• UC Irvine's seven runs in the College World Series have come in two innings -- a three-run eighth vs. Texas and a four-run second vs. Vanderbilt. The Anteater offense was held hitless in the final 5.1 innings by the Commodores' Walker Buehler.
• The Longhorns' win against Louisville on Monday gave them their 83rd win in CWS history, extending their record.
• Taylor Sparks has at least one hit in seven of UC Irvine's eight NCAA tournament games. He is batting .469 in the postseason.
• In eight NCAA tournament games, Texas has allowed two or fewer runs six times.
• UC Irvine's Evan Brock, who had not come out of the bullpen all season, has appeared in relief in both CWS games. He has allowed one earned run on three hits with seven strikeouts in five innings.
• Travis Duke of Texas has made 27 relief appearances this season. In 28.1 innings, he has given up one earned run.
• UC Irvine head coach Mike Gillespie is making his fifth CWS appearance and his first with the Anteaters.
• Texas head coach Augie Garrido is in search of his sixth national title in his fifth different decade. He won at Cal State Fullerton in the 1979, '84 and '95, and won at Texas in 2002 and '05.