The Associated Press

Box Score
WASHINGTON -- Georgetown nearly blew an 18-point second-half lead and overcame a 43-point performance by Marshon Brooks as the No. 13 Hoyas held on to beat Providence 83-81 on Saturday for their sixth consecutive win.

Brooks' career-high game was the most points scored by a Big East player this season and the fifth highest total ever in a Big East game. But his chance to tie or win it ended when he was stripped by Chris Wright at midcourt just before the final horn. Both players went to the floor, where Brooks lay grimacing while Georgetown celebrated.

Austin Freeman scored 23 points, Jason Clark had 18, Wright added 16 and Julian Vaughn put in 14 for the Hoyas (18-5, 7-4 Big East), who never trailed but watched a 54-36 lead with 17 1/2 minutes to play cut to one in the game's final few seconds.

Brooks went 17 of 28 from the field and 7 for 10 from the free throw line. He also grabbed 10 rebounds and played all 40 minutes for the Friars (14-10, 3-8), who are still seeking their first road win of the season.

Brooks and Duke Mondy (19 points) accounted for all but 19 of Providence's points. They combined to go 22 of 39 from the field, while the rest of the team was 7 for 32. At the other extreme were Vincent Council (0 for 10) and Gerard Coleman (3 for 13).

The Hoyas lost their big lead because they stopped making 3-pointers and started missing free throws. The Hoyas were 8 of 15 from long range in the first half but missed all 11 attempts in the second. They also missed 10 second-half free throws, repeatedly opening the door for the Friars to stay within reach.

Brooks' four-point play, when he hit a 3 while being fouled by Clark, cut Georgetown's lead to 75-71 with 3 minutes to go. Bryce Cotton's 3-pointer, his first basket of the game, pulled the Friars within 79-77 with 35 seconds remaining.

Wright made 1 of 2 free throws, Brooks drove to the basket for a layup, then Wright hit a pair of free throws to make the score 82-79 with 9.4 seconds to go. Brooks then made two free throws with 6.4 remaining to cut the lead back to one.

Wright again made only 1 of 2 with 5.5 seconds to play, giving the Friars a chance to win with a 3-pointer. Brooks got the ball in the backcourt but had it poked away from Wright. Brooks hit his head as he went to the floor and had an ice pack on his forehead afterward.

Georgetown opened the game with 3-pointers from Freeman, Wright and Clark, while Providence opened with a tip-in, a short jumper and a 3-pointer - all from Brooks. He was the only Friars player with a field goal until Mondy's 3-pointer with 8:14 left in the first half.