Did You Know ...
Round-by-round facts and figures for March Madness
FIRST FOUR | March 15-16
• Oliver Robinson, the first player signed at UAB by inaugural head coach and athletic director Gene Bartow, became the school's first All-American in 1982. During his senior season, Robinson averaged 21.1 points and led the Blazers to a 25-6 record.
• Alabama State University was founded by nine former slaves in 1867 as the Lincoln School of Marion in Marion, Ala., a private institution for blacks. WVAS, the campus radio station, has grown to 80,000 watts and enjoys a listenership that spans 18 counties, reaching a total population of more than 651,000.
• Head coach Steve Shields heads into Tuesday’s matchup with UNC-Asheville with 132 wins as head coach of the Trojans, one victory shy of tying Mike Newell for the school record. UALR’s lone NCAA tournament victory came in 1986, as the No. 14-seed Trojans upset Notre Dame, the No. 3 seed, 90-83.
|March 15||UNC-Asheville vs. UALR||Gallery|
|Clemson vs. UAB||Gallery|
• Seven Clemson players have been named to the All-ACC Academic Team at least three times during their career. The most recent player to accomplish the feat was Cliff Hammonds, who earned undergraduate degrees in 2008 in architecture and psychology. Tanner Smith has a chance to join that list this year.
• Former player Jack Gardner went on to become the only coach in history to lead two schools to the Final Four twice each (Kansas State in 1948 and ’51 and Utah in 1961 and ’66).
• The roadrunner was voted the UTSA mascot in 1977, defeating the armadillo in a student election. The roadrunner officially became the school's mascot in ’78.
• Head coach Eddie Biedenbach was drafted by three different teams in two sports after graduating from N.C. State – the NBA’s Los Angeles Lakers and the New Jersey Nets, and the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys.
• Eric Maynor was the first VCU player to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft (the 20th pick in 2009, Utah Jazz). Larry Sanders is the other (15th selection in 2010, Milwaukee Bucks).