Duke vs. North Carolina: College basketball's classic rivalry previewed
One of college basketball’s most heated rivalries will be reprised on Wednesday when No. 20 Duke makes the 10-mile trip along Tobacco Road to face No. 5 North Carolina. The Blue Devils have won three straight in the series, but the host Tar Heels have had the better season to date and sit atop the ACC standings.
|MARCH MADNESS ON SOCIAL MEDIA|
JOIN THE TEAM.
Players to watch
- Guard Grayson Allen, who made the buzzer-beating game winning basket against Virginia on Saturday, paces the Blue Devils in minutes (35.3), points (20.6) and assists (3.7) per game. The sophomore is shooting 48.9 percent from the field, including 42.5 percent from 3-point range.
- Tar Heels senior Brice Johnson has tallied 14 double-doubles in 25 games this season. The forward is averaging team-highs with 16.4 points and 10 rebounds per game while shooting 61.4 percent from the floor.
- North Carolina leads the all-time series 133-107 but Duke has won 10 of the last 13 meetings.
- Duke is shooting 47.9 percent (35-of-73) from 3-point range over its last four games.
- The Tar Heels are pulling down 40.4 rebounds per game and outrebounding opponents by 7.4 boards per game.
- The Blue Devils, who did not defeat a ranked opponent over the season’s first three months, bettered both No. 13 Louisville and No. 7 Virginia last week.
- Averaging 18.5 assists per game, the Tar Heels boast a 1.7 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Duke is scoring 84.3 points per game while shooting 47.7 percent from the field.
- North Carolina is averaging 83.8 points per game while shooting 48.3 percent from the floor.