Five best seasons for Mark Few
Mark Few has been the head coach at Gonzaga for 16 seasons. The Bulldogs have made the NCAA tournament every season, and have made five Sweet 16 appearances -- including his first two years. This season marks the first time the Zags have advanced to the Elite Eight under Few.
The Bulldogs were a No. 10 seed in the 1999 NCAA tournament, and Gonzaga's first Sweet 16 appearance led to the Few era. The Zags' Cinderella run included wins against Minnesota, Stanford and Florida before losing to eventual national champion UConn. After the season, Gonzaga coach Dan Monson left for Minnesota to replace Clem Haskins, who was dismissed in the wake of an academic fraud investigation.
Entering Sunday night's Elite Eight clash against Duke, these are the Bulldogs' best five runs under Few:
|1999-00||26-9||10||Sweet 16||Louisville, St John's||Purdue||Michigan State|
• Casey Calvary led the team in scoring (13.4 ppg) and rebounding (6.4 rpg). Richie Frahm led the team in assists (2.5 apg).
• Gonzaga topped out at No. 22 in the AP poll (Dec. 14 and 21).
|2000-01||26-7||12||Sweet 16||Virginia, Indiana State||Michigan State||Duke|
• Casey Calvary led the team in scoring (19.0 ppg) and rebounding (6.7 rpg). Dan Dickau led the team in assists (6.3 apg).
• Gonzaga never made it into the AP poll.
• In 2002, Dan Dickau became the first Gonzaga player drafted by the NBA since John Stockton in 1984.
|2005-06||29-4||3||Sweet 16||Xavier, Indiana||UCLA||Florida|
• Adam Morrison led the team in scoring (19.0 ppg). J.P. Batista was the leading rebounder (6.2 rpg). Morrison also led the team in assists (2.8 apg).
• Junior Adam Morrison was the first Bulldogs player to be named to the preseason AP All-America team.
• Gonzaga topped out at No. 10 in the final AP regular-season poll.
• Morrison (2006) was drafted off the 2006 Sweet 16 team.
|2008-09||28-6||4||Sweet 16||Akron, WKU||North Carolina||North Carolina|
• Josh Heytvelt led the team in scoring (14.9 ppg). Austin Daye was the leading rebounder (6.8 rpg). Jeremy Pargo led the team in assists (4.9 apg).
• Gonzaga topped out at No. 4 in the AP poll (Dec. 8).
• Austin Daye (2009) and Robert Sacre (2012) were drafted off the 2009 Sweet 16 team.
|2014-15||35-2 *||2||Elite Eight||NDSU, Iowa, UCLA||--||--|
|* -- Record entering Elite Eight matchup against Duke on Sunday.|
• Kyle Wiltjer leads the team in scoring (16.8 ppg). Domantas Sabonis is the leading rebounder (7.1). Kevin Pangos leads the team in assists (4.9 apg).
• Gonzaga topped out at No. 2 in the AP poll (Jan. 2).
Ronny Turiaf (2005) and Kelly Olynyk (2013) are other Gonzaga players drafted by the NBA during the Few era.