Lady Blues Drop 25th Straight On Bearcats
Dec. 8, 2008
Courtesy of Washburn
TOPEKA, Kan. -- The No. 2 ranked Washburn Lady Blues had five players score at least eight points as they defeated Northwest Misssouri 67-48 in Lee Arena. The win was the 25th straight for the Lady Blues over the Bearcats in Topeka.
The Lady Blues (7-0, 2-0 MIAA) trailed at 12-8, but a 14-2 run over the next six-plus minutes reversed the game and gave Washburn a 22-14 lead with 5:54 to go in the first half. The Bearcats (4-4, 0-2 MIAA) cut back into the lead reducing the margin to five at 24-19, but back-to-back 3-pointers by Hope Gregory and Kalee Silovsky propelled Washburn to a 34-25 haltime lead.
In the second half, Washburn limited the Bearcats to 7 of 23 shooting from the field as Washburn held Northwest to at least a 10-point deficit the remainder of the game taking the 19-point win.
Janice Bright scored a game-high 13 points to lead the Lady Blues. Gregory finished with 10 points hitting three 3-pointers on the night in four attempts. Meghan Brue led the Bearcats with 11 points. Four different Lady Blues had four rebounds.
Washburn finished the game hitting 21 of 50 from the field while the Bearcats finished 16 of 47. Washburn was 18 of 27 from the free throw line and Northwest was 13 of 17 from the charity stripe.
* Washburn leads the all-time series 39-9 with 25 straight wins in Lee Arena.
* Washburn improved to 5-5 all-time on Finnish Independance Day.
* Washburn improved to 43-4 all-time in the month of December under head coach Ron McHenry.
* Washburn is now 190-12 under McHenry when leading at the half.
* Washburn is now 154-14 when they hold their opponents under 60 points.