Five Big East squads still perfect
Notes: UConn freshman Stewart living up to the hype
• The Big East Conference has five teams that are currently undefeated heading into the third week of play. Louisville and Syracuse are both 6-0, while Connecticut holds a 5-0 record. Notre Dame and South Florida have both won their first four games of the season.
• DePaul head coach Doug Bruno will coach his 800th career game against Northwestern on Dec. 2. His career record is 515-284.
• Florida’s Carlie Needles connected on nine 3-pointers in the Gators 74-44 victory against North Florida last week. The redshirt freshman became the fifth player in Southeastern Conference history to make nine or more 3‐point baskets in a single game, the second‐most 3s in a game by an SEC women’s basketball player.
• Topping the 1,000-point career scoring plateau last week were Georgia’s Jasmine Hassell and Arkansas’ Sarah Watkins.
• Connecticut freshman Breanna Stewart is playing up to her advance notice for the Huskies. She averaged 19.0 ppg, 6.7 rpg and blocked seven shots in a 3-0 week for Connecticut. The Huskies won the Paradise Jam with a victory against Purdue, led by Stewart’s 17 points. Stewart was named the tournament MVP.
• The Dayton Flyers continue to soar with a 6-0 record, including scoring 105 points in a win against Eastern Illinois on Nov. 25. It was the first time Dayton scored in triple digits since a 101-80 win against Harvard on Dec. 30, 2010.
• With 12 points at UCLA, Notre Dame senior guard Skylar Diggins moved into fifth place on the school’s career scoring list with 1,771 points, passing Alicia Ratay (1,763 from 1999-2003).
This week on the court
• The defending national champion and third-ranked Baylor (5-1) will travel to the hometown of senior post Brittney Griner as the Lady Bears take on Rice on Tuesday, Nov. 27 at 8 p.m. ET in Tudor Fieldhouse. It will be Griner’s first game as a collegian in Houston. Griner leads Baylor in scoring with 18.7 points per game. In the past three games Griner has averaged just 19 minutes per game. She currently has 2,537 career points and 999 career rebounds.
• The Big Ten/ACC Challenge will pit some of the nation’s hottest teams against each other. Off to a 6-0 start to the season, No. 22 North Carolina will put its early season streak on the line when they host No. 15 Ohio State on Nov. 28, at 7 p.m. ET on ESPNU. The Tar Heels have wins thus far against Georgetown and Iowa. Florida State (5-0) of the ACC will play host to Iowa (5-2) on Nov. 28 at 7 p.m. on ESPNU.
• Kentucky (4-1), No. 9 in the latest poll, will face interstate rival No. 7 Louisville (7-0) on Dec. 2, at 6 p.m. on ESPNU.
• Two surprising teams in No. 20 Kansas (5-0) and Minnesota (6-1) will play one another on Dec. 2 in Lawrence, Kan.
• Gonzaga’s only loss of the season came at the hands of No. 7 Louisville on Nov. 21 by a 55-42 count. The Zags will host No. 1 Stanford (6-0) on Dec. 2.
What to Watch: Nov. 26-Dec. 2