DII women's basketball rankings: Ashland maintains No. 1 poll spot for record 17th straight time
On Tuesday, Dec. 12, Ashland women's basketball reached the full-calendar year mark as the No. 1-ranked team in NCAA Division II.
RELATED: WBCA Top 25
In the latest Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Division II Coaches' Poll, the Eagles (10-0, 4-0 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) are the top-ranked team in the nation for a poll-record 17th consecutive time in the regular season/postseason, and the 18th time in a row overall – a streak which began on Dec. 13, 2016.
- Ashland occupies the No. 1 spot in the WBCA poll in the regular season/postseason for the 29th time, fourth-most in the history of the poll, trailing only North Dakota (37), North Dakota State (33) and Cal Poly Pomona (32).
- The Eagles are the unanimous top-ranked team in the country for the 21st time, preseason and in-season.
- The latest WBCA poll gives Ashland the longest active regular-season/postseason streak for a DII women's basketball team in the top five at 21.
- Playing as the No. 1-ranked team in the country, both in preseason and in-season polls, the Eagles have an all-time record of 62-1. The official DII women's basketball poll started in 1982-83.
- Ashland is one of two nationally-ranked GLIAC teams, along with Michigan Tech (No. 15).
That moment you realize you’ve been the #1 team in the country for exactly one year! pic.twitter.com/yOAwe4jIXx— Ashland Eagles (@goashlandeagles) December 13, 2017
The Eagles will finish the pre-Christmas part of their 2017-18 schedule on Saturday, Dec. 16 at 3 p.m. at Tiffin and Monday, Dec. 18 at 5:30 p.m. at home vs. Indianapolis. Ashland starts the weekend with a 47-game winning streak, third-best in the history of NCAA Division II women's basketball. Washburn won 51 straight games from Jan. 26, 2005-March 11, 2006, and North Dakota State won 49 consecutive games from Feb. 25, 1994-Dec. 15, 1995.
ASHLAND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL OFFICIAL DIVISION II TOP 25 POLL HISTORY (INCLUDING PRESEASON)
Weeks in rankings: 74
Weeks in Top 10: 58
Weeks in Top 5: 51
Weeks at No. 1: 31
Most consecutive weeks in rankings: 39 (current)
Most consecutive weeks in Top 10: 33 (current)
Most consecutive weeks in Top 5: 23 (current streak is 22)
Most consecutive weeks at No. 1: 18 (current)
Highest ranking: No. 1
Highest final ranking: No. 1 (2012-13 and 2016-17)
Full seasons in rankings: 3 (2012-13, 2015-16 and 2016-17)
Full seasons in Top 10: 2 (2012-13 and 2016-17)
Full seasons in Top 5: 2 (2012-13 and 2016-17)
Current streak: 39