2005 Division I Championship Selections
The NCAA Division I Field Hockey Committee announced today the field of 16 teams for the 2005 NCAA Division I Field Hockey Championship. Six conferences were awarded automatic qualification. In addition, four conferences competed for two play-in berths and the remaining eight teams were selected at large.
The following conferences and their representatives received automatic qualification:
- Big East Conference ---- University of Connecticut
- Big Ten Conference ---- University of Michigan
- Ivy Group ---- Princeton University
- Colonial Athletic Association ---- Old Dominion University
- Patriot League ---- American University
- Northern Pacific Field Hockey Conference ---- University of California, Berkeley
The teams winning the play-in berths were Boston University from the America East Conference and University of Richmond from the Atlantic 10 Conference.
The attached bracket lists the eight at-large teams, as well as the pairings, sites and dates.
The first- and second-round games will be played on four campus sites November 12 and 13. The University of Louisville will host the semifinals and final, November 18 and 20 at Tragar Stadium. For ticket information, please call 1-800-633-7105.
In 2004, Wake Forest University captured their third-straight NCAA national championship beating Duke, 3-0. Field hockey is the only female sport at Wake Forest to have won a national championship and the only of all the sports to win three in a row.
-- Courtesy NCAA.org