Shippensburg Ranked New No. 1
Sept. 15, 2009
Courtesy of Shippensburg Athletics
SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. - The Shippensburg University field hockey program has been ranked at No. 1 in the most recent edition of the Kookaburra/NFHCA Division II Coaches Poll released Tuesday morning. It is the first time SU has held the highest national ranking since the final poll of the 2005 season.
Shippensburg (6-0) is the only unbeaten program currently in Division II and has outscored its opponents this season by a 33-1 margin. The Lady Raiders are averaging 5.5 goals per game while limiting opponents to an average of just 3.5 total shots per contest. Sophomore Kristina Taylor (Long Pond/Pocono Mountain West) leads the team with nine goals, including three game-winners.
The team's first major defense of its top ranking will occur tonight, as the No. 1 Lady Raiders hit the road to take on No. 4 Kutztown in a 7 p.m. matchup from University Field. The Golden Bears have already defeated previous No. 1 program Bloomsburg earlier this year.
2009 Kookaburra/NFHCA Division II Coaches Poll [9.15.09]
Sorted by Points (first place votes in parentheses)
1. Shippensburg University (6-0) [157 (11)]
2. Bloomsburg University (6-1) [156 (6)]
3. University of Massachusetts Lowell (6-1) 
4. Kutztown University (5-1) 
5. Stonehill College (5-2) 
6. East Stroudsburg University (6-1) [102 (1)]
7. Mercyhurst College (4-1) 
8. Bentley University (4-2) 
9. Millersville University (4-2) 
10. Indiana University of PA (1-3)