Nov. 27, 2010
STATESBORO, Ga. (AP) -Georgia Southern used a relentless ground game to control the ball for nearly 42 minutes and beat South Carolina State 41-16 Saturday in the first round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.
Twelve players totaled 323 yards on 77 carries for the Eagles (8-4), who will play at No. 2 seed William & Mary on Dec. 4.
J.J. Wilcox rushed for two touchdowns and Russell DeMasi one for Georgia Southern, but special teams and defense also played a key role.
After Wilcox’s first touchdown, following an 11-play, 80-yard drive, the Eagles (9-3) fumbled the kickoff, resulting in a safety. Later in the first quarter, Josh Gebhardt returned a fumble by Bulldogs quarterback Malcolm Long 34 yards to make it 16-0.
Another fumbled kickoff at the start of the fourth quarter produced another Georgia Southern safety. The Eagles also got three field goals from Adrian Mora.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80