North Carolina has received a notice of allegations from the NCAA outlining violations in the football program.
Team spokesman Kevin Best confirmed that the school had received the notice and that UNC planned to release it later Tuesday. The NCAA has been looking into improper benefits and academic misconduct involving a tutor since first visiting the Chapel Hill campus last summer.
The university has 90 days to respond to the notice. It comes two weeks after the NCAA said it planned to complete the investigation this month in a belated “notice of inquiry,” a procedural step that stands as a formal notification of an investigation into a sports program.
Fourteen players missed at least one game last season due to the investigation. Seven were ruled out for the entire year, while an eighth was cleared at midseason but decided to redshirt.
The NCAA has also examined the close friendship between former associate head coach John Blake and late NFL agent Gary Wichard. Blake’s attorneys have confirmed Wichard loaned money to Blake, but they characterized the transactions as one friend helping another through tough financial times.
Wichard died in March from diabetes and pancreatic cancer. Less than two weeks earlier, investigators with the North Carolina Secretary of State’s offices issued a search warrant for financial records connected to Wichard and his California-based firm—Pro Tect Management LLC—as part of a separate probe into whether the state’s sports agent laws were broken.
Blake resigned in September, the day after the Tar Heels lost to LSU in the season opener.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80