North Alabama may be considering a move from Division II to Division I, but it’s premature to conclude what that means for the future finals site of the Division II Football Championship.
Braly Municipal Stadium, North Alabama’s home field, has hosted the event every year since 1986 and is scheduled to host the championship through 2013.
North Alabama’s announcement described a number of financial benchmarks that must be met in order for the university to pursue Division I membership, so it’s not certain that the reclassification will occur at all. Reclassification would not begin before the 2013 season, meaning that North Alabama’s membership status would not change for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
In any event, no membership discussions about the finals site have occurred to this point.
“We haven’t had any Football Committee calls or meetings since that announcement,” Jones said. “We have great respect for The Shoals (the Muscle Shoals, Ala., metropolitan area) and the people at North Alabama. They’ll be involved with this as we go forward.”
The Football Committee is tentatively scheduled to meet via teleconference Sept. 19.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80