WAVERLY, Iowa — Coe defeated No. 11 Wartburg 27-24 Saturday after being down 17-0 at halftime.
Despite the loss, Wartburg senior Dan Stiefel set a new career-best with his 24 pass completions on the game. His previous career mark stood at 18 which he accomplished twice.
Jared Kuehner’s 21-yard touchdown reception gave Coe the three-point lead with 2:47 remaining in the game. The Knights began their final drive on their own 22 yard line and marched down to Coe’s 35-yard line with 15 seconds remaining.
|Coe at No. 11 Wartburg|
Stiefel attempted to throw the ball downfield to an open receiver, but unfortunately, was picked off by Demetreus Johnson which ended the drive.
The Orange and Black were the first to strike as sophomore Reese Thompson punched one in just over two minutes into the game.
Senior Levi Helbling doubled Wartburg’s lead seven minutes later on a five-yard pass from Stiefel.
Classmate Marcus Williamsmade the score 17-0 in the Knights’ favor with his 21-yard field goal. Wartburg’s defense held Coe’s Brad Boyle to 44 yards and four-for-nine in the first half.
Coe scored on its first drive of the second half as Gage Mohs caught a 27-yard touchdown pass from Brad Boyle to make the score 17-7 just over two minutes into the quarter.
Williams missed a 31-yard field goal attempt on Wartburg’s next drive.
On their ensuing drive, the Kohawks would come within three points as Boyle capitalized on a quarterback sneak from one-yard out. Boyle would score his second touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter which gave Coe the 21-17 lead just under two minutes into the frame.
Wartburg answered back on its next drive as Helbling caught a 29-yard pass from Stiefel to re-gain the lead at 24-21.
Thompson led the Orange and Black on the ground with his 25 carries for 120 yards which marked his fourth 100-yard game in his career. Helbling led all receivers with his six receptions for 98 yards. Stiefel threw for 329 yards and was 24-of-45 to bring the streak to 46 consecutive games that a Knights playcaller has thrown for triple digits.
Juniors Jason Shupp and Garrett McGrane led the defense with 12 and 11.5 tackles, respectively.
Wartburg takes to the road next week when it travels to face Cornell (Iowa) next week at 2 p.m. ET.
- SEC's Slive focused on future after changes
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Miss. State penalized for booster's conduct
- Alamo Bowl promoted to top Big 12 contest
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Charlotte names stadium in honor of donor
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- Former GVSU standout Finnerty found dead
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule