KEARNEY, Neb. — No. 11 Colorado State-Pueblo scored 17 fourth quarter points and forced five turnovers to upset No. 4 Nebraska-Kearney by a 27-14 score on Saturday afternoon.
CSU-Pueblo, which restarted its program in 2008, improves to 7-0 (5-0 RMAC) while the Lopers (6-1, 4-1 RMAC) suffer its first lost of the season.
To beat Nebraska-Kearney for the first time in four meetings, Pueblo turned to its powerful defense, which came in allowing 11.5 points per game. The ThunderWolves held Nebraska-Kearney to a season-low 385 yards and picked off four passes in the fourth quarter.
Stephan Dickens had two picks for the ThunderWolves on the day, including one that he returned for a touchdown in the fourth quarter to help seal the victory for Colorado State-Pueblo.
No. 1 Bloomsburg 38, Shippensburg 18
BLOOMSBURG, Pa. — Bloomsburg broke the game open with 24 fourth-quarter points as the top-ranked Huskies downed Shippensburg 38-18 on Saturday afternoon. Bloomsburg improved to 7-0 on the season, including a 4-0 mark in conference play. The Red Raiders fell to 3-4 on the campaign, with a 1-3 record in league action.
Bloomsburg senior quarterback Pat Carey had a big day, throwing for 201 yards on 15 completions and three touchdowns. Matt Marchioni and Ryan Dickerson had 61 yards and 62 yards receiving respectively, accounting for all three touchdowns.
Eddie Mateo rushed for 129 yards on 16 carries to go along with a season long 69 yard rush while Franklyn Quiteh went for 105 yards and two touchdowns. Fullback Matt Cox also added a 61 yard run on a fake punt as the Huskies rolled up 282 yards on the ground.
Defensively Jarrett Pidgeon led the way for Bloomsburg with a career-high 17 tackles and chipped in two pass break-ups as well. Vince Browning added another nine tackles and three pass breakups. John Pettine recorded one and half sacks for a total loss of nine yards.
No. 5 Washburn 48, Central Oklahoma 3
TOPEKA, Kan. — Washburn handed Central Oklahoma its worst loss since 1972 while remaining perfect on the season with a 48-3 win against the Bronchos on Saturday in Yager Stadium.
Dane Simoneau led the offensive charge for Washburn as he finished 19 of 31 for 338 yards on the day with the five scores and no interceptions. Three different Ichabods pulled down touchdown passes and two more topped 100 yards receiving. Ronnell Garner led the team with six catches for 127 yards and two scores while DeJuan Beard had five catches for 117 yards and three touchdowns. Sean McPherson had 120 yards on the ground to lead Washburn on 16 carries.
Casey Curran led the Ichabod defense with 13 tackles, including five solo stops, and Michael Hollins and Jahmil Taylor each had nine tackles. Aaron Hummert finished with five punts averaging 49.4 yards per punt for Washburn.
Joshua Birmingham had 49 carries to lead UCO while Ethan Sharp was 22 of 36 passing for 161 yards. Christian Hood added seven catches for 64 yards to lead the Bronchos receiving corps.
Game information and photos compiled from athletic department websites.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80