Pac-12 suspends 10 players
Punishments stem from UCLA-Arizona fight Thursday
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- The Pac-12 Conference suspended 10 student-athletes involved in a fight that occurred during the first half of the UCLA-Arizona football game played Thursday in Tucson, Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott announced Friday.
“The Conference is extremely disappointed in the actions of the student-athletes involved in this incident. It is unacceptable behavior and violated Conference rules, as well as NCAA fighting rules. I have taken these actions today because it is imperative that we hold our student-athletes and coaches to the highest standards of sportsmanship,” said Scott.
With :04 remaining in the first half, an on-field incident between several UCLA and Arizona student-athletes escalated into a bench-clearing altercation.
UCLA senior wide receiver Taylor Embree and Arizona sophomore cornerback Shaquille Richardson were penalized by on-field game officials for unsportsmanlike conduct and ejected from the contest for fighting. The penalty, by NCAA rule, required the individuals to sit out the second half of the game.
In addition to the on-field penalties assessed to Embree and Richardson, and based on further review of available game footage, the Pac-12 Conference extended an additional one-game suspension for both players.
The suspensions will occur during each institution’s next scheduled contest. UCLA plays Saturday, Oct. 29 against California, while Arizona’s next game is at Washington on Saturday, Oct. 29.
The Pac-12 Conference also suspended eight additional players who engaged in the on-field incident. Those penalties are as follows:
• Sophomore guard Alberto Cid - Half-game suspension
• Sophomore wide receiver Randall Carroll - One-game suspension
• Sophomore wide receiver Shaq Evans - One-game suspension
• Sophomore wide receiver Ricky Marvray - One-game suspension
• Sophomore defensive tackle Cassius Marsh - Two-game suspension (consecutive games)
• Senior cornerback Lyle Brown - Half-game suspension
• Junior strong safety Mark Watley - Half-game suspension
• Freshman nickelback Jourdon Grandon - One-game suspension