NORFOLK, Va. – Taylor Heinicke threw five touchdown passes to lead Old Dominion to a 35-18 victory against Norfolk State on Saturday in the first round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.
The Monarchs (10-2), who tied for second in the Colonial Athletic Association, will play at third-seeded Georgia Southern on Dec. 3.
Heinicke, who was 21 of 30 for 269 yards, threw for two scores to Nick Mayers, two to Prentice Gill and one to Larry Pinkard.
Old Dominion’s first touchdown came on the possession after the Spartans (9-3), champions of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, scored first on Derrick Demps’ 98-yard touchdown reception from Chris Walley.
Old Dominion, which resumed football in 2009 after a 69-year absence and hosted the game between schools located 5 miles apart, led 21-7 at halftime.
Two of the Monarchs touchdowns came after interceptions of Walley, who was picked off just four times on 305 regular-season passes.
- SEC's Slive focused on future after changes
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Miss. State penalized for booster's conduct
- Alamo Bowl promoted to top Big 12 contest
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Charlotte names stadium in honor of donor
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- Former GVSU standout Finnerty found dead
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule