CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — Tirrelle Rennie threw a pair of touchdown passes and fifth-seeded Northern Iowa rallied to beat Wofford 28-21 Saturday and advance to the quarterfinals of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.
Jared Herring caught both TD passes for the Panthers (10-2), who will face No. 4 Montana on the road in the next round.
David Johnson’s 1-yard TD run put the Panthers up 21-14 to start the fourth quarter. Wofford fumbled the ensuing kickoff in the end zone, and Phil Wright’s recovery gave the Panthers a 14-point lead.
Mitch Allen had 162 yards rushing to lead Wofford (8-4), who outgained the Panthers 478-238 but committed three costly turnovers.
Northern Iowa improved to 6-1 in home playoff games under coach Mark Farley.
- SEC's Slive focused on future after changes
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Miss. State penalized for booster's conduct
- Alamo Bowl promoted to top Big 12 contest
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Charlotte names stadium in honor of donor
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- Former GVSU standout Finnerty found dead
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule