STATESBORO, Ga. – Dominique Swope ran for two touchdowns and 255 yards in a game dominated by both offenses as Georgia Southern held on to beat Old Dominion 55-48 Saturday in the second round of the FCS playoffs.
The Eagles (10-2) gained 477 of their 607 yards on the ground as the two teams totaled 1,167 yards of offense.
The Monarchs gained 560 yards with Taylor Heinicke throwing for 341 on 25 of 44 passes. He added 75 yards on seven carries. Old Dominion (10-3) gained the most yards allowed by Georgia Southern this season.
Tied at 28 at the half, Swope ran 76 yards on the first play of the third quarter. Old Dominion answered with a touchdown to tie it, but the Eagles took the lead for good on Nico Hickey’s 13-yard TD run with 3:45 to go in the third.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80