CHARLESTON, Ill. – Eastern Illinois has hired Baylor assistant coach Dino Babers to take over for longtime head football coach Bob Spoo.
The school announced Babers’ hiring on Friday. The longtime assistant coach was a member of Spoo’s first staff at Eastern in 1987. The Football Championship Subdivision school plays in the Ohio Valley Conference.
Babers coached Baylor’s wide receivers and has been at the school since 2008. The Bears went 9-3 this season and are headed to the Alamo Bowl.
He played at Hawaii and has been an assistant at schools including Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, San Diego State, UCLA, Arizona, Purdue, Northern Arizona and UNLV.
Spoo announced plans to retire before this season. The Panthers finished 2-9. Spoo finished with a career record of 144-131-1.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80