MISSOULA, Mont. — Jordan Johnson threw for three touchdowns and ran for another on Friday night as Montana routed Northern Iowa 48-10 to advance to the semifinals of the FCS playoffs.
Fourth-seeded Montana (11-2) will next face the Montana State-Sam Houston State winner.
Fifth-seeded Northern Iowa (10-3) got on the board first when Tirrell Rennie connected with Jarred Herring on a 27-yard touchdown pass.
But it was all Grizzlies after that.
Jordan finished with 196 yards passing and 86 yards rushing.
Touchdown runs by Jordan Canada, Peter Nguyen and Johnson plus a 5-yard pass from Johnson to Kavario Middleton sent Montana to the locker room with a 28-10 lead.
It was more of the same in the second half. Johnson connected with Sam Gratton on scoring tosses of 8 and 25 yards, and Donny Lisowski returned an interception 35 yards for a touchdown to round out the scoring.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80