STATESBORO, Ga. — Quarterback Jaybo Shaw ran for two touchdowns and threw for another Saturday to lead Georgia Southern to a 35-23 win against Maine in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.
The Eagles (11-2), who seek their seventh national championship, advance to the semifinals for the second consecutive year.
Georgia Southern will next play the winner of the North Dakota State-Lehigh game in the semifinals.
The Eagles had 476 yards total offense, including 360 rushing, in dispatching the Bears (9-4). It was the third time Georgia Southern and Maine had met in the playoffs. The Eagles have won all three meetings.
J.J. Wilcox led Georgia Southern with 99 yards rushing on touchdown runs of 2 and 7 yards. Shaw scored on runs of 2 and 1 yards, and completed 7 of 8 passes for 116 yards.
Maine’s Warren Smith threw for 229 yards and two touchdowns, but was intercepted three times.
- SEC's Slive focused on future after changes
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Miss. State penalized for booster's conduct
- Alamo Bowl promoted to top Big 12 contest
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Charlotte names stadium in honor of donor
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- Former GVSU standout Finnerty found dead
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule