The NCAA Division I Football Championship is on pace to set a record for fan attendance.
With all 20,086 seat tickets for the FCS Championship Game between No. 1 seed Sam Houston State and No. 2 seed North Dakota State sold or allocated to the participating institutions, the tournament will exceed 250,000 attendees. The previous attendance record was 209,761, set in 1994.
The sellout of the championship game also will make it the largest attended game in the past four years. “Along with the record attendance throughout the national semifinals, we’ve seen incredible competition that is the trademark of FCS football,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said.
“These teams — and the fans who root for them — are sure to enjoy one of the best FCS championship games ever. I share the excitement of every school, student-athlete and fan that has taken part in this tournament, and I personally look forward to being in the stands on January 7.”
To accommodate the demand for championship game tickets, the NCAA and the local organizing committee in Frisco, Texas, are bringing temporary bleacher seating into the stadium. The bleachers will be utilized by each school’s band and cheerleading teams, which allows for the schools to make extra seats available for fans.
Tickets returned by the institutions, along with a limited amount of standing room only tickets, will be sold to the general public starting at 11 a.m. ET Jan. 3 at www.NCAA.com/fcs.
“Frisco’s track record of support for sports and big events led us to believe that eventually, we could sell out the FCS Championship Game,” said Tom Burnett, commissioner of the Southland Conference and one of the host groups for the championship game. “Obviously we are very, very pleased that has happened in the second year of the event.”
The game will be played at 1 p.m. Jan. 7 (ESPN2 and ESPN3) at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco. The ESPN broadcasts of the FCS Championship Game have averaged more than a 1.0 Nielsen rating in six of the past seven years as well. This equates to more than one million viewers nationally.
The championship game attendance record was set in 1995, when 32,106 fans watched Montana defeat Marshall in Huntington, W. Va.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80