PHILADELPHIA – The Maxwell Football Club announced its watch lists Monday for the 76th annual Maxwell Award, given to America’s outstanding collegiate football player since 1937 and named in honor of sportswriter Robert W. “Tiny” Maxwell.
Members of the initial watch lists cross a broad spectrum of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) programs and conferences from coast to coast. Returning Maxwell Award semifinalists from 2011 include USC QB Matt Barkley, Clemson QB Tajh Boyd, Oklahoma QB Landry Jones and USC WR Robert Woods. No program has more athletes on this year’s Maxwell Award watch list than USC, which is also represented by WR Marqise Lee and RB Curtis McNeal.
The 2011 Maxwell Award winner, Stanford QB Andrew Luck made himself available for the 2012 NFL Draft, where he was selected No. 1 overall by the Indianapolis Colts.
Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced Oct. 29, and the three finalists will be announced Nov. 19. The winner of the 2012 Maxwell Award will be announced as part of the ESPNU College Football Awards Show held on Dec. 6. The formal presentation of the award will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala in Atlantic City on March 1.
The watch list candidates were chosen by the Maxwell Football Club’s selection committee, which evaluates past performance and future potential. The club will make additions and deletions to the list as the 2012 season unfolds. All members of the Maxwell Football Club along with collegiate sports information directors, head coaches and selected national media are eligible to vote for the awards.
|Cameron Marshall||Arizona State||RB||Sr.|
|EJ Manuel||Florida State||QB||Sr.|
|Derek Carr||Fresno State||QB||Jr.|
|Robbie Rouse||Fresno State||RB||Sr.|
|Collin Klein||Kansas State||QB||Sr.|
|Le’Veon Bell||Michigan State||RB||Jr.|
|Mike Glennon||NC State||QB||Sr.|
|Giovani Bernard||North Carolina||RB||So.|
|Bryn Renner||North Carolina||QB||Jr.|
|Cierre Wood||Notre Dame||RB||Sr.|
|Tyler Eifert||Notre Dame||TE||Sr.|
|Braxton Miller||Ohio State||QB||So.|
|Joseph Randle||Oklahoma State||RB||Jr.|
|Silas Redd||Penn State||RB||Jr.|
|Marcus Lattimore||South Carolina||RB||Jr.|
|Christine Michael||Texas A&M||RB||Sr.|
|Seth Doege||Texas Tech||QB||Sr.|
|John White IV||Utah||RB||Sr.|
|Logan Thomas||Virginia Tech||QB||Jr.|
|Marquess Wilson||Washington State||WR||Jr.|
|Geno Smith||West Virginia||QB||Sr.|
|Tavon Austin||West Virginia||WR||Sr.|
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80