Award-winners and national leaders headline The Sports Network preseason All-America teams announced Monday.
Among the top honorees were Towson running back Terrance West and New Hampshire linebacker Matt Evans, along with Indiana State running back Shakir Bell.
|Big Sky||14||Patriot League||3|
|Missouri Valley||9||Ivy League||2|
|* – includes first, second and third team|
The ISU junior led the nation a year ago with 151.8 rushing yards per game (1,670 rushing yards in 11 games) while finishing tied for second for the Walter Payton Award, given to the top player in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).
West was the 2011 Jerry Rice Award winner as the nation’s top freshman. In his first collegiate season, he rushed for 1,294 and 29 touchdowns, leading the country in rushing scores.
Evans won the Buck Buchanan Award as a junior when he led the country with 7.67 solo tackles per game, racking a total of 165 stops on the year.
Along with the talented trio, 11 other players return to the preseason squad after being named TSN first-team All-Americans following the 2011 campaign.
National champion North Dakota State, which beat Sam Houston State 17-6 for the 2011 title, had one player — cornerback Marcus Williams — named to the first team. SHSU has plenty of talent returning as it had three players — safety Darnell Taylor , RB Tim Flanders and WR/KR Richard Sincere — on the first team while adding one on the second and third team, respectively.
|Brad Sorensen||Southern Utah||QB||Sr.|
|Shakir Bell||Indiana State||RB||Jr.|
|Timothy Flanders||Sam Houston State||RB||Jr.|
|Nicholas Edwards||Eastern Washington||WR||Sr.|
|Aaron Adams||Eastern Kentucky||T||Sr.|
|Blake Matthews||Norfolk State||T||Sr.|
|Earl Watford||James Madison||G||Sr.|
|Gavin Farr||Southern Utah||C||Jr.|
|Richard Sincere||Sam Houston State||AP||Jr.|
|Zach Brown||Portland State||PK||Sr.|
|Ben Obaseki||Indiana State||DE||Sr.|
|Blake Olijaro||San Diego||DE||Jr.|
|Zach Minter||Montana State||DT||Sr.|
|Brent Russell||Georgia Southern||DT||Sr.|
|Matt Evans||New Hampshire||LB||Sr.|
|Jeremy Kimbrough||Appalachian State||LB||Sr.|
|Blake Peiffer||Southeast Missouri State||LB||Jr.|
|Demetrius McCray||Appalachian State||CB||Sr.|
|Marcus Williams||North Dakota State||CB||Jr.|
|Kejuan Riley||Alabama State||S||Sr.|
|Darnell Taylor||Sam Houston State||S||Sr.|
|Jonathan Plisco||Old Dominion||P||Sr.|
|Darius Carey||McNeese State||PR||Sr.|
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80