Bethpage, N.Y. — Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert, the only returning finalist from 2011, joins 32 other players from around the country as part of the 2012 John Mackey Award preseason watch list. The award annually honors the most outstanding collegiate tight end and is presented by the Nassau County Sports Commission.
The award is selected by vote of the John Mackey Award selection committee. The 2012 John Mackey Award will be presented on Dec. 6, 2012 at ESPNU College Football Awards Show.
Presented since 2000, the John Mackey Award lists 11 NFL players as alumni: 2006 Super Bowl champion Dallas Clark (2001) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two-time Super Bowl champion Daniel Graham (2002), Kellen Winslow II (2003) of the Seattle Seahawks, two-time Super Bowl champion Heath Miller (2004) of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Marcedes Lewis (2005) of the Jacksonville Jaguars, 2008 Super Bowl champion Matt Spaeth (2006) of of the Chicago Bears, Fred Davis (2007) of the Washington Redskins, Chase Coffman (2008) of the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, Aaron Hernandez (2009) of the New England Patriots, D.J. Williams (2010) of the Green Bay Packers and the 2011 John Mackey Award recipient Dwayne Allen of the Indianapolis Colts.
|Alex Bayer||Bowling Green||Junior|
|Jack Doyle||Western Kentucky||Senior|
|Tyler Eifert||Notre Dame||Senior|
|Gavin Escobar||San Diego State||Junior|
|Crockett Gillmore||Colorado State||Junior|
|Chase Harper||Texas State||Senior|
|Garrett Hoskins||Eastern Michigan||Senior|
|Malcolm Johnson||Mississippi State||Sophomore|
|Ryan Otten||San Jose State||Senior|
|Chris Pantale||Boston College||Senior|
|Lucas Reed||New Mexico||Senior|
|Dion Sims||Michigan State||Junior|
|Jake Stoneburner||Ohio State||Senior|
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80