AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Augusta Sports Council announced the preseason watch list for the 2012 Ray Guy Award, which honors the nation’s top collegiate punter.
The 25 candidates on the list reach across a broad spectrum of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams. The 2011 Ray Guy Award winner, Ryan Allen of Louisiana Tech leads a strong field in 2012. Returning Ray Guy Award semifinalists from last season include Ian Campbell (UTEP), Steven Clark (Auburn), Bobby Cowan (Idaho), Richie Leone (Houston), Pat O’Donnell (Cincinnati), Jackson Rice (Oregon), Brian Schmiedebusch (Bowling Green) and Brad Wing (LSU).
The Augusta Sports Council created the Ray Guy Award in 2000 to honor Thomson, Ga., native and College Football Hall of Fame inductee Ray Guy. The Ray Guy Award winner is determined by a national voting body of sports writers, college coaches, sports information directors, and past Ray Guy Award winners.
Among the statistics used to identify the winner is net punting average, number of times a punt is downed or kicked out of bounds inside the opponents 20-yard line, total yardage punted, average returned yardage, and percentage of punts not returned. The winner must display team leadership, self-discipline and have a positive impact on the team’s success.
The number of eligible candidates for this season will grow when the award opens for nominations in September. The complete list of candidates will be released on Oct. 26.
A national body of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) sports information directors, coaches, media representatives and previous Ray Guy Award winners will vote for the top three finalists to be announced on Nov. 19. After the finalists are named, the voting body will cast ballots again to select the nation’s top punter. The winner will be announced live during ESPNU College Football Awards Show on Dec. 6.
|Brian Schmiedebusch||Bowling Green||Junior|
|Pete Kontodiakos||Colorado State||Senior|
|Kirby Van Der Kamp||Iowa State||Sophomore|
|Ryan Allen||Louisiana Tech||Senior|
|Dalton Botts||Miami (Fla.)||Sophomore|
|Will Atterberry||North Texas||Senior|
|Quinn Sharp||Oklahoma State||Senior|
|Harrison Waid||San Jose State||Sophomore|
|Tyler Bennett||Utah State||Senior|
- SEC's Slive focused on future after changes
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Miss. State penalized for booster's conduct
- Alamo Bowl promoted to top Big 12 contest
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Charlotte names stadium in honor of donor
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- Former GVSU standout Finnerty found dead
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule