CHICAGO – The 28th annual Butkus Award selection process to honor the nation’s best linebackers began Monday with the announcement of the collegiate preseason watch list.
The watch list contains 51 candidates, honoring the now-retired professional jersey number of Dick Butkus, who is regarded by NFL Films as the best defensive player in football history. The selection panel is comprised of 51 coaches, evaluators and journalists, coordinated by Pro Football Weekly.
The Collegiate Butkus Award watch list includes 51 candidates from 38 universities. Manti Te’o of Notre Dame is the only returning finalist, after having won the inaugural High School Butkus Award in 2008. Jarvis Jones of Georgia is a returning semi-finalist.
Candidates in addition to those appearing on the watch list may be considered for the Award.
Semi-finalists will be named October 22, finalists Nov. 20, and winners will be notified on or before Dec. 4.
|Brandon Magee||Arizona State|
|Uona Kaveinga||Brigham Young|
|Christian Jones||Florida State|
|Nick Moody||Florida State|
|A.J. Klein||Iowa State|
|Jake Knott||Iowa State|
|Arthur Brown||Kansas State|
|Denicos Allen||Michigan State|
|Max Bullough||Michigan State|
|Cameron Lawrence||Mississippi State|
|Etienne Sabino||Ohio State|
|Gerald Hodges||Penn State|
|Michael Mauti||Penn State|
|Ja’Gared Davis||Southern Methodist|
|Damontre Moore||Texas A&M|
|Sean Porter||Texas A&M|
|Kevin Reddick||North Carolina|
|Manti Te’o||Notre Dame|
|DeVonte Holloman||South Carolina|
|Jamie Collins||Southern Mississippi|
|Andrew Jackson||Western Kentucky|
|Bruce Taylor||Virginia Tech|
|Travis Long||Washington State|
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80