DALLAS – The PwC SMU Athletic Forum announced Thursday the preseason candidates for the 2012 Doak Walker Award. The award is presented annually to the nation’s top college running back.
The field of 52 candidates is highlighted by 2011 Doak Walker Award finalist Montee Ball from Wisconsin. A senior, Ball led the nation in rushing yards and scoring last season. Other nominees include 2011 semifinalists Rex Burkhead (Nebraska), Zach Line (SMU) and Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State).
Nominations for the award will be accepted through October.
Semifinalists will be named Nov. 9, and the Doak Walker Award National Selection Committee will cast votes to determine the finalists, who will be announced on Nov. 19. The committee will cast a
second vote beginning on Nov. 26 to determine the recipient. The National Selection Committee consists of former NFL All-Pro and college All-America running backs, media members and selected special representatives.
The recipient of the 2012 Doak Walker Award will be announced live on The Home Depot College Football Awards on Dec. 6. The Doak Walker Award Presentation Banquet will be held in Dallas, Texas in Feb. 2013.
The award, in its 23rd year, is named for SMU’s three-time All-America running back Doak Walker. It is the only major collegiate award that requires all candidates to be in good academic standing and on schedule to graduate within one year of other students of the same classification.
|Le′Veon Bell||Michigan State|
|Giovani Bernard||North Carolina|
|Benny Cunningham||Middle Tennessee|
|Gee Gee Greene||Navy|
|Jordan Hall||Ohio State|
|D.J. Harper||Boise State|
|John Hubert||Kansas State|
|Michael James||Miami (Fla.)|
|Walter Kazee||San Diego State|
|Marcus Lattimore||South Carolina|
|Hunter Lee||Louisiana Tech|
|Cameron Marshall||Arizona State|
|Curtis McNeal||Southern California|
|Christine Michael||Texas A&M|
|Joseph Randle||Oklahoma State|
|Silas Redd||Penn State|
|Kedrick Rhodes||Florida International|
|Robbie Rouse||Fresno State|
|Anthon Samuel||Bowling Green|
|Orwin Smith||Georgia Tech|
|Eric Stephens||Texas Tech|
|James White||Iowa State|
|Kerwynn Williams||Utah State|
|Cierre Wood||Notre Dame|
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80