INDIANAPOLIS — A Valdosta State player has been suspended from the team’s next game and the head football coach has been publicly reprimanded for misconduct during the 2012 NCAA Division II Football Championship.
The NCAA Division II Football Committee said Regginald Lewis will be held out of Valdosta State’s quarterfinal contest against Carson-Newman on Saturday for targeting and hitting a West Alabama player on a kickoff during the DII preliminary round matchup. Valdosta State head coach David Dean also issued a public reprimand for the actions Lewis took.
The committee originally assessed the reprimand and Valdosta State appealed the decision to the NCAA Division II Championships Appeals Subcommittee. The Subcommittee reviewed relevant materials and correspondence from the institution before making its final decision to uphold the decision by the football committee.
“The football committee was extremely disappointed with the unsportsmanlike action taken by the student-athlete,” said Frank Condino, chair of the Division II Football Committee and director of athletics at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. “Head coaches and student-athletes sign a code of conduct before each round of the championship that clearly defines the expectations of sportsmanship to be displayed.
“Mr. Lewis’ on the field action violated this agreement and has no place in Division II football. It also served as a discredit to the championship. It is the head coach’s responsibility to keep his student-athletes accountable to this sportsmanship agreement.”
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80