EL PASO, Texas – UTEP hired Sean Kugler as its new coach Monday, bringing in a former Miners’ player and coach to replace the retired Mike Price.
Kugler spent almost three years as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line coach, following stints with the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions. He also worked at Boise State. He played for current UTEP athletic director Bob Stull, graduating in 1988, and later coached at the school for eight seasons.
”I spent 13 years as a player and coach at UTEP and loved every minute of it,” Kugler said in a statement. ”I’m excited about starting a new chapter in my coaching career at a place that has so many fond memories.”
Kugler was on UTEP’s staff from 1993 to 2000.
”He brings a lot of enthusiasm and experience and, most importantly, has a great love for UTEP and the city of El Paso,” Stull said.
UTEP says a salary is still being negotiated. The 46-year-old Kugler is a native of Freeport, N.Y., and has three children. His oldest son, Robert, is a lineman at Purdue.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin congratulated Kugler on the move.
”The Miners are getting a tremendous coach and even though we are sad to see him leave the Steelers, we are excited for him to return to his alma mater and lead their program,” Tomlin said.
Kugler follows Price, best known in coaching for reaching the Rose Bowl twice at Washington State but losing the job at Alabama after a drinking binge. Price retired Nov. 19 after nine years at UTEP, which he led to 8-4 records and bowl games in his first two years before failing to achieve a winning record since.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80