College football stars in the AFC and NFC Championship games
The best of the NFL square off on Jan. 24 in the AFC and NFC championship games. But before they were pros, these players fought on the collegiate gridiron for a plethora of different schools. Per our complete list from opening day NFL rosters, here are which colleges produced the best NFL talent from the championship teams:
• Four Clemson players, including kicker Chandler Catanzaro, wide receiver Jaron Brown, running back Andre Ellington and safety Chris Clemons.
• Three USC players, including a pair of quarterbacks in starter Carson Palmer and backup Matt Barkley.
• Three LSU defensive players, including cornerback Patrick Peterson and linebacker Kevin Minter.
• Four Ohio State players, including wide receivers Ted Ginn Jr. and Philly Brown, offensive lineman Andrew Norwell and safety Kurt Coleman.
• Five players who went to Oregon schools: three from Oregon State and two from Oregon.
• Three players from Colorado State, three from Florida and three from Tennessee -- which is quarterback Peyton Manning's alma mater.
New England Patriots
• Five players from Rutgers, all from the defensive side of the ball, led by defensive backs Devin McCourty and Logan Ryan.
Here is the full breakdown: