|Top Division III Matchups|
Who: No. 10 Salisbury Sea Gulls at No. 9 Wesley Wolverines
Who: Birmingham-Southern Panthers at No. 14 Trinity (Texas) Tigers
Who: No. 25 Bethel (Minn.) Royals at Concorida-Moorhead Cobbers
Who: Wisconsin-Stevens Point Pointers at No. 1 Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks
Who: Elmhurst Bluejays at No. 7 North Central (Ill.) Cardinals
|Watch Them Now|
40 Brett Baune
Key Notes: Baune enters the week tied for second nationally in touchdowns with 15 rushing scores in eight games. The junior fullback has averaged 4.9 yards per carry in his two-year career and this season has already doubled his production from a year ago with 652 yards (81.5 ypg) to lead the Cobbers’ offensive attack. He also has four receptions including a touchdown this fall. Baune will lead the Cobbers against No. 25 Bethel (Minn.) this weekend when he will face a Royals’ defense that has given up just seven touchdowns and 107.1 rushing yards per game this year.
Other Players to Watch this Week: McCallum Foote, Middlebury (So., QB); Peter Ford, Louisiana College (So., LB); Wyatt Hanus, Dubuque (Jr., QB); Dan Keegan, Montclair State (Sr., WR); Garrett McGrane, Wartburg (Jr., DB); Shawn Morris, Birmingham-Soouthern (Jr., RB); Erik Westerberg, Augustana (Ill.) (So., LB); Scottie Williams, Elmhurst (Jr., RB)
|Keep Your Eyes on This|
• Montclair State and Illinois Wesleyan both tumbled down the AFCA Top 25 Poll this week with the Redhawks taking the hardest hit, falling from seventh to No. 21 after dropping their first contest of the season. With the loss, only 19 teams remain undefeated in Division III this week, including 12 in the top 25. No. 3 St. Thomas (Minn.) and Endicott, which is currently three places outside the ranking, are each looking to improve to 9-0 this weekend. No. 8 Delaware Valley is the only other team in Division III with eight wins, but the Aggies are off Saturday.
• Since its lone loss of the season in Week 2 against Kean, a surprising 31-28 setback, Wesley has continued to gain steam, charging back into the top 10 where it currently sits ninth. In the five games since the upset, the Wolverines have outscored opponents 224-40, including posting two shutouts. In its last two contests combined, Wesley has allowed just three points and 374 total offense yards. That strong defensive streak will be put to the test this weekend in Division III’s biggest matchup as the Wolverines face No. 10 Salisbury, which comes in averaging 484.0 yards and an impressive 50.7 points per game. The Sea Gulls are the only team in the country averaging more than 48 points per game, partly in thanks to its bruising ground game that is No. 1 nationally with 357.0 yards per contest.
• Top-ranked Wisconsin-Whitewater is at home this weekend against Wiscosin-Stevens Point. The Warhawks will be putting their 24-game home undefeated record on the line, an impressive streak but one that ranks only second in the nation. No. 2 Mount Union holds the current mark for top home win streak, having knocked off its last 41 opponents on its own turf. The teams swap the Nos. 1-2 positions when it comes to road winning streak, as UWW has won its last 26 road contests while Mount Union is second in the country with a nine-game road win streak.
• North Central (Ill.) has continued its hot ride after a season-opening loss at Redlands. The Cardinals earned an impressive 24-0 victory against then-No. 13 Illinois Wesleyan last week and is now the lone undefeated team in the College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin. NCC has fourth-place Elmhurst on tap this weekend, which brings in an offense that ranks 19th in the country at 462.3 yards per game.
• The Upper Midwest Athletic Conference has a big weekend slated as 10 teams hit the turf at the Metrodome in Minneapolis Friday and Saturday. MacMurray and Martin Luther kick the festivities off at 5 p.m. ET on Friday followed by Presentation and St. Scholastica while Greenville and Minnesota-Morris (2 p.m. ET), Eureka and Northwestern (Minn.) and Crown and Westminster follow on Saturday.
• Crown will be looking for its first win of the season as it is one of 22 Division III schools without a victory. Overall, Anna Maria leads the nation with a 26-game losing streak while Wilmington (Ohio) and Kenyon join the Amcats with at least 20 consecutive losses with 23- and 20-game streaks, respectively.
- Kiffin eager to put past problems to rest
- Frazier, Wuerffel to meet again in Hall of Fame
- Spring is crucial for new Pac-12 coaches
- Manziel taking smart approach to doing things he likes
- Michigan's Hoke says Irish 'chickening out'
- Auburn confident it can make athletic fixes
- Fulmer helping restart program at ETSU
- FCS Championship Inside Access Part 1
- North Dakota State earns second FCS title
- Advantageous Bison ground out victory
- Kennesaw State names Bohannon first head coach
- Ejections for hits on defenseless players?
- Delta State reintroduces ‘Fear the Okra’
- CFB: Valdosta St. captures DII national title
- Valdosta St. dominates in DII title win
- Valdosta St. overcomes rough start to win DII title
- DII unveils 2013 football television schedule
- Harlon Hill Trophy namesake dies at 80