DIII preps for Port St. Lucie
May 4, 2009
INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division III Women's Golf Committee announced 21 teams and six individuals that will participate in the 2009 NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships.
Eleven conferences have been granted automatic qualification and the remaining 10 teams were selected on an at-large basis from conferences and the remaining independent institutions. Six individuals, not from selected teams, also were selected for the championships.
The championships will consist of both team and individual competition conducted concurrently. The tournament consists of 72 holes of play over four days of competition. In the team competition, the low four scores from each team for each day will count in the team's total score.
The championships will be conducted May 13-16 at the PGA Golf Club in Port St. Lucie, Florida. Methodist University will serve as host.
The selected teams and individuals are listed below:
1. University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
2. Methodist University
3. Southwestern University (Texas)
4. Gustavus Adolphus College
5. Middlebury College
6. Amherst College
7. Otterbein College
8. Olivet College
9. Illinois Wesleyan University
10. University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire
11. University of St. Thomas (Minnesota)
12. Allegheny College
13. DePauw University
14. St. Lawrence University
15. Wheaton College (Illinois)
16. Wartburg College
17. St. Mary's College (Indiana)
18. University of Texas at Tyler
19. University of Puget Sound
20. Transylvania University
21. Illinois College
1. Emily Bachert, Centre College
2. Stephanie Mingos, Rhodes College
3. Kimberly Eaton, Wellesley College
4. Kayla Eckelkamp, Maryville University of St. Louis
5. Jordan Matheson, Macalester College
6. Sarah Paulson, Central College (Iowa)
In 2008, Methodist University won its 11th consecutive and 21st overall NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships with a combined score of 1,219 at the Centennial Oaks Golf Course in Waverly, Iowa. Runner-up honors went to DePauw University (1,258), and Southwestern University (Texas) finished third with a score of 1,263. Susan Martin of Methodist won the individual title with a total score of 294 which set a new national championship meet record. Martin's teammate Katie Dick and Franklin College's Katie Tewell shared co-runner-up spots with scores of 297.
For more information about the 2009 NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships, log on to www.ncaa.com. Highlights of the NCAA Division III Women's Golf Championships will be shown on CBS at 2 p.m. Eastern time, Saturday, July 4. The CBS seasonal show will feature highlights of 17 different NCAA championships held during the spring.