NCAA Championships Live Video Streaming Rights Policy
In accordance with the NCAA's digital rights agreement with Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. (“Turner”), Turner owns the exclusive rights to stream all NCAA Championships live via the Internet, mobile applications, and related devices, except for those Championships which fall under a prior national television and/or digital rights agreement (i.e. ESPN, CBS).
If Turner elects to exercise its right to distribute an NCAA Championship event via live video streaming, NO SECONDARY STREAMING RIGHTS WILL BE GRANTED to university athletic departments, university television networks, student-operated television networks, local/regional television networks or other media outlets (collectively, “Third-Parties”).
If Turner elects NOT to exercise its video streaming rights, certain Third Parties MAY REQUEST PERMISSION TO VIDEO STREAM select NCAA Championship events (the “Event Coverage”) from Turner. All requests must be submitted to Turner online at www.ncaa.com/rights-request.
Live Video Streaming of NCAA Championships – Terms and Conditions
Upon Turner granting the right to produce, display and distribute a live online video stream of Event Coverage to You (the “Streaming Entity”), the Streaming Entity agrees to the following terms and conditions:
1. Distribution Rights: The online video stream authorized by Turner under this policy is limited to the live distribution of the Event Coverage on the official website of the Streaming Entity. Under no circumstances may the Streaming Entity make any other use of the Event Coverage beyond the rights granted herein (e.g. Highlights).
2. Sublicensing: The Streaming Entity shall not sublicense the rights granted herein to any third parties (other than as necessary to make such Event Coverage available on the Streaming Entity’s official website).
3. Copyright: The NCAA owns all copyrights, title, interest and ownership in and to the Event Coverage.
4. Rights Fees: The Streaming Entity acknowledges and agrees to pay the Live Video Streaming Rights Fees, if applicable, as follows:
a) Commercial Broadcasts - $500 per game or event session – online distribution; $1,000 per game or session – online and mobile distribution
• The Streaming Entity may include advertising or sponsorship within the video stream (i.e. commercials, pre-roll video, sponsor graphics, announcer mentions) or the video player environment (i.e. banner ads, presented by logos).
• The Streaming Entity must acknowledge and adhere to the NCAA Advertising and Promotional Standards.
b) Non-Commercial Broadcast – Rights fee waived
• The Streaming Entity may NOT include any form of advertising or sponsorship within the video stream (i.e. commercials, pre-roll video, sponsor graphics, announcer mentions) or within the video player environment (i.e. banner ads, presented by logos).
c) University Student-Run Broadcast – Rights fee waived
• The Streaming Entity must be an official university-sponsored student-run network.
5. NCAA Links: The Streaming Entity acknowledges that Turner and/or the NCAA shall be permitted to include links to the website on which the Event Coverage shall be streamed on ncaa.com and/or other official NCAA sites.
6. Free-to-User: The Streaming Entity agrees to deliver the live video stream of the Event Coverage FREE to all users. The Streaming Entity further agrees that no video streaming rights shall be granted or will be permitted as part of a subscription package. If the Streaming Entity normally uses a subscription package to broadcast video streams, the link to the stream of the Event Coverage must be separate from the subscription package and may not require any login or other user information.
7. Production Standards: The Streaming Entity acknowledges and agrees to comply with the Minimum Video Production Standards for the live video stream as follows:
a) Minimum of two video cameras (single camera production will be considered on case-by-case basis subject to prior written approval by Turner)
b) Standard definition (SD) stream is acceptable, but high definition (HD) is preferred.
c) If graphics are used as part of the production, every effort shall be made to make them “neutral” and, ensure that only official NCAA marks be used.
8. Video Stream URL: The Streaming Entity shall provide Turner with a specific URL or deep link to the online location where the Event Coverage will be streamed live at least 24 hours prior to the event. A link to the Streaming Entity’s home page will not suffice. Until the deep link is received by Turner, the streaming rights request will not be approved.
9. Aggregation of Links: The Streaming Entity acknowledges that the aggregation of links is strictly prohibited. The Streaming Entity’s official website may only link to the Event Coverage that is being streamed. No third party site will be permitted to link to the video stream of the Event Coverage. The only permissible website that will aggregate links is the official NCAA site, NCAA.com. Furthermore, the Streaming Entity is responsible for insuring that no aggregation takes place. In the event that aggregation is taking place on an unauthorized third-party website, the Streaming Entity must take prompt action to have the links immediately removed in order to prevent forfeiture of their previously granted rights to broadcast.
10. Advertising Standards: For those Commerical Broadcasts permitted to include commercial advertising in the video stream (i.e. pre-roll, mid-roll, sponsor graphics, announcer mentions), banner advertising in the video player or “presented by” sponsorships, all advertising must comply with the NCAA’s Advertising and Promotional Standards.
11. Archive Copy: Within three (3) business days after the Event Coverage, the Streaming Entity must submit a DVCAM copy of the Event to :
Turner Sports / NCAA Digital
1015 Techwood Drive
Atlanta, GA 30318
12. The Streaming Entity may not denigrate Turner, the NCAA, NCAA member institutions or teams, their players or officials, or any NCAA sport, and must comply in all respects with the NCAA bylaws, rules and regulations in effect, which may be amended from time to time by the NCAA in its sole discretion.
13. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, Turner reserves the right, in its sole discretion at any time, to modify or amend any or all of the terms hereof, deny any requests or revoke permission given to a Streaming Entity for any reason.
14. The Streaming Entity’s distribution of the live video stream of Event Coverage absent a superseding written agreement constitutes acceptance of these terms.
For more information, please contact:
Turner Sports / NCAA Digital
1015 Techwood Drive
Atlanta, GA 30318