Oct. 3, 2009

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Playing in front of a crowd of 10,114, No. 9/10 Indiana (5-3-1) fell by a 3-0 score to No. 11/12 UCSB (7-2-1) at Harder Stadium in Santa Barbara, Calif.

"This is a disappointing loss but we played a team with talent that has quickness and pace and that gave us trouble," said head coach Mike Freitag. "But when you come into a hostile environment and play a match like this, guys get stronger and learn from it. Later in the season, having played this game will make us a better team."

UCSB took a 1-0 lead at 38:03 on a goal from Danny Barrera with the assist to Michael Tetteh. Tetteh took the ball into the corner and sent in a cross to Barerra who hit it home for the score.

The Gauchos extended their lead to 2-0 on a goal from Machael David in the 51st minute. David broke free and was facing Luis Soffner one-on-one, where he simply went to his left around Soffner and calmly played the ball in for the score. It was 3-0 Gauchos in the 61st minute on a Michael Nonni score.

With 30:13 left in the match, Andy Adlard sent in a free kick that sent UCSB goalkeeper Sam Hayden diving to his right for the stop. Just minutes earlier, Adlard had broken free with the ball but coming in at a hard angle on the right side he tried to maneuver his shot around the goalkeeper and ended up send the ball just wide of the frame.

Will Bruin took a shot across his body with just over eight minutes to play but Hayden smothered the ball for the stop. The Hoosiers finished the match with 11 shots, led by three each from Adlard and Bruin.

Less than two minutes into the match, Bruin was fouled just outside the right side of the box, setting up a free kick opportunity for Adlard. The junior got the ball into the box but it was headed away by a UCSB defender.

With 3:30 gone off the clock to start the match, Balchan missed on an open shot after the ball came to him on the rebound. Darren Yeagle had played a ball ahead to Adlard that was kicked out by the defender, setting up a corner kick. A UCSB defender headed the ball out to the foot of Balchan but he sent his shot high. Less than two minutes later, Hayden stopped a sliding shot from Adlard.

Bruin got underneath a Yeagle pass with 11:52 to play in the first half but Hayden blocked the ball and caught it as it popped back up in the air.

Bruin had a shot right at the buzzer that was blocked by Hayden to take the teams into the halftime break. IU led the shot tally at the break, 6-5.

Indiana returns to the pitch this Wednesday as they take on the Butler Bulldogs in a local derby. Match time is 7 p.m. on Jerry Yeagley Field at Armstrong Stadium.