HOOVER, Ala. -- Georgetown goalkeeper Tomas Gomez blocked Helge Leikvang’s shot in the final round of a penalty kick shootout, lifting the Hoyas past Maryland 4-3 on Friday after a 4-4 tie in the semifinals.

Georgetown (20-3-2) beat Maryland (20-2-2) for the first time in 29 tries and moves on to Sunday’s national title match against Indiana.

Maryland scored twice in a little more than three minutes late in the second half to tie the game at four.

Maryland held a 3-2 lead through the first three rounds of the penalty kicks, but the Hoyas rallied for a 4-3 lead and won when Gomez stopped Leikvang’s try.

"I just had a hunch to go there, and it worked out," Gomez said.

Georgetown’s Steve Neumann netted three goals, included two in a 89-second span that gave the Hoyas a 2-1 halftime lead.

"You always dream about having games like that on big stages like this," Neumann said. "It's an unbelievable feeling and something I'll cherish the rest of my life."

Neumann made it 4-2 with 30 minutes left in regulation, but Maryland tied it on goals by Patrick Mullins and Christiano Francois.

"You're never going to feel secure with a two-goal lead against a team like Maryland," Georgetown coach Brian Wiese said. "There were several times in the second half when Maryland could have chucked it, and they never did. They showed tremendous resilience."

Maryland outshot Georgetown 18-12, including five shots in the final 12 minutes of regulation after tying it.

"I don't think we ever for a moment thought that we weren't going to come back and win," Maryland's Patrick Mullins said. "We just knew somebody was going to find a way to get us that one goal. We had some decent chances at the end."

The eight goals tied for the second-most in College Cup history. It also marked the first time a team has scored four goals in a semifinal game since 2006.

The Terrapins had given up a total of only four goals in their past four games combined.

"Our defending let us down," Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski said. "It's very difficult to cope with the reality that we're not advancing and playing on Sunday. We just came up a little empty."

Reserve player Hollinger-Janzen lifts Indiana to victory