No. 1 Creighton 2, Old Dominion 1

NORFOLK, Va. -- Senior Bruno Castro delivered the game-winning tally in double overtime to give Creighton a 2-1 victory against Old Dominion at the host Monarchs’ Stihl Classic on Friday night.

Castro’s goal completed a Creighton (4-0-0) come-from-behind victory against Old Dominion (1-2-0) after the Bluejays trailed in a match for the first time this season. It marked Castro’s first goal of the year. The score was Castro’s third tally and second game-winner in a Creighton uniform. Sophomore Vincent Keller earned the assist on the clincher, his second helper of the season.

The victory improves Creighton’s all-time record as the top-ranked team in the nation to 9-1-1. It also lifted the Jays’ overtime record to 9-0-6 in the last 15 matches that went into extra time dating back to September 2010. The Bluejays evened the series with ODU at 1-1-0 after the Monarchs won in Omaha last season by the same 2-1 margin.

Old Dominion scored first on a penalty kick in the 35th minute off the foot of Ivan Militar, his second goal of the season.

CU withstood the Monarch attack in the first half, fending off 11 ODU shots while the Bluejays managed two shot attempts in the opening 45 minutes.

Creighton bounced back to knot the score at 1-1 early in the second half in the 59th minute on a penalty kick conversion of its own. CU senior Zach Barnes blasted his PK attempt past the reach of Monarch goalkeeper Sean Stowe.  It marked Barnes’ first goal of the season. The score was also Barnes’ first in a Creighton uniform. He scored six total goals in two previous seasons at SMU.

Junior Alex Bolowich made five saves en route to his fourth victory of the year in goal for the Jays to improve to 4-0-0 on the season. Stowe made three saves for the Monarchs and dropped to 1-1-0 in 2013.

No. 2 North Carolina 2, No. 18 Maryland 2

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- No.2 North Carolina and No. 18 Maryland finished in a 2-2 draw Friday night at Fetzer Field.

Both teams scored a pair of goals in the first half, but could not score the game winner during the final 65 minutes of play. Maryland (1-2-2, 1-0-1 ACC) took the lead at the 10:46 mark off a goal from Schillo Tshuma.

Minutes later, UNC defender Jordan McCrary was taken down in the penalty area that resulted in a penalty kick. Midfielder Raby George stepped up and buried his shot for his second goal of the season at 13:20.

The lead swung in favor of the Tar Heels at 20:16 when freshman midfielder Omar Holness ran the ball up the field covering more than 60 yards of real estate and deposited his shot into the back of the net from 18 yards for his first collegiate goal.

In the late stages of the first half, Tshuma struck again for the equalizer at the 36:20 mark when he finished from 18 yards to the lower-right side past a diving Brendan Moore.

UNC forward Josh Rice had an excellent look on goal when he tried to chip the Maryland keeper, but his attempt from 25 yards was just over the bar in the 54th minute.

In the first extra session, Nick Williams had a point-blank shot go just over the cross bar after McCrary started the flurry with a free kick in the 95th minute.

The Terps nearly won the match in the 107th minute, but Moore was up to the task, making the last of his six saves on a shot from Jake Place.

No. 4 Notre Dame 3, No. 25 Syracuse 0

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- There was no bad luck on this Friday the 13th for Notre Dame as the program picked up its first Atlantic Coast Conference victory with a 3-0 triumph against No. 25 Syracuse at a damp and chilly SU Soccer Stadium.

It was a night of firsts for two Fighting Irish players. Sophomore midfielder Evan Panken and senior central defender Andrew O'Malley both netted their first career goals, while Patrick Hodan had the third tally to help the Irish (2-0-2, 1-0-1) remain undefeated this season. Hodan, a sophomore midfielder, also had an assist as did senior forward Harrison Shipp.

Notre Dame controlled the match, outshooting Syracuse 17-4, including a 10-1 margin in shots on goal. The Irish earned 11 corner kicks compared to five for the Orange. Senior goalkeeper Patrick Wall made one save to collect his second clean sheet of the season for the Fighting Irish. Syracuse (3-2-0, 0-2-0) goalkeeper Alex Bono had seven saves.

Panken opened the scoring in the 17th minute when he deflected in a cross from Shipp and O'Malley made it 2-0 six minutes later when he scored off a Hodan corner kick. Shipp and Hodan both have a team-high two assists this season.

Notre Dame led 2-0 at halftime. The Fighting Irish outshot the Orange 9-3 in the opening stanza in addition to gaining six more corner kicks (8-2).

"I felt we opened a bit sloppily in the first 10 minutes or so, but then we started connecting passes and we started to find Harry [Shipp] and [Patrick] Hodan," Notre Dame head coach Bobby Clark said. "We made a lot of chances, which is always important."

Hodan pushed the lead to three in the 51st minute when he deposited one of his game-high four shots on frame to record his first goal of the season and the seventh of his career. It was another big night at Syracuse for Hodan, who had two goals and one assist in last season's 4-2 win against the Orange in the quarterfinals of the Big East Championship.

No. 5 California 1, Penn State 1

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- California suffered its first blemish of the season when it tied Penn State, 1-1, in double overtime on Friday evening at Jeffrey Field. Cal’s record now stands at 3-0-1 after the first match between the two programs, while the Nittany Lions improved to 2-2-1 after the nonconference match.

On the last scoring chance of the game, Cal defender Steve Birnbaum headed the ball wide at 105:56 in the second overtime.

Much earlier in the match, Birnbaum nodded in Cal’s goal off a corner kick by senior midfielder Ryan Neil at 19:23 in the first half. That gave Birnbaum, a fifth-year senior, a team-high three goals on the season.

Penn State’s Kyle MacDonald knotted the match at 1-1 with a goal at the 76:33 mark; Owen Griffith got the assist.

The Bears outshot the Lions, 15-11. Cal sophomore goalkeeper Justin Taillole did not register a save, while Andrew Wolverton posted four saves for Penn State.

No. 19 VCU 1, No. 7 Akron 0

RICHMOND, Va. -- Sophomore Dennis Castillo's header in the 75th minute was all VCU needed as the Rams knocked off Akron 1-0 on Friday night in front of 3,319 fans at FirstEnergy Stadium.

The Rams picked up their second consecutive road win against a top-15 program in less than a week as VCU also defeated No. 13 Maryland 3-2 on Sept. 8.

VCU handed Akron just its second home loss in more than five years, and the Zips' first since a 1-0 setback against Michigan State on Nov. 2, 2011. Akron is now 85-5-9 at home dating back to the 2006 season.

No. 8 UAB 0, No. 21 Charlotte 0

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Despite playing a majority of the game a man down, the Charlotte 49ers tied UAB (3-0-1) 0-0 in double overtime on the road in the UAB Soccer for a Cure Classic. The 49ers finished the game with a 14-8 advantage in shots and a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks.

The Blazers did not have a shot on goal until the second overtime period.

Tyler Gibson, Brandt Bronico, Will Mayhew, Anthony Perez and Giuseppe Gentile had shots in the first half for the 49ers but their shots were either high, blocked or stopped by UAB’s Raphael Ville.

In the 31st minute, Charlotte’s Bronico and UAB’s Moses Adeniran were both issued red cards so each team would play the rest of the game with 10 men. In the 37th minute, Charlotte’s Biko Bradnock-Brennan was issued a red card making the 49ers play the rest of the game with only nine players.

Despite playing a man down for a majority of the game, the 49ers defense was stout.

No. 9 New Mexico 1, Santa Clara 0

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- It was nearly déjà vu for New Mexico (3-0-1) as weather delayed the start of the Lobos’ 1-0 victory against Santa Clara (0-4-0) in the 2013 TLC Plumbing & Utility Invitational. UNM fought the elements throughout the preseason but didn’t let the delayed start keep it from claiming the victory.

After the lightning delay was over and the match began, the game took a defensive feel. It seemed the weather delay had forced a delay in offensive rhythm as well. Both sides were feeling each other out as neither side recorded a shot on goal in the first half. New Mexico’s best chances were a pair of Kyle Venter headers in the box that missed wide. Christopher Wehan and Michael Calderon also registered shots for the Lobos but neither was on goal in the first 45 minutes of action.

The low-scoring pace continued to open the second half. The Lobo faithful would have to wait 20 minutes into the second half before James Rogers delivered the goods for the Lobos. For the second consecutive match, it was a combination play from Calderon and Rogers that triggered the scoring action. This time Rogers would collect the Calderon pass and flick the ball high over the Santa Clara keeper. The left-footed, sky-scraping flick found the back of the net to give the forward his fourth goal of the young season.

New Mexico finished the match off to earn the shutout. The Cherry & Silver held the Broncos to just six shots to UNM’s 15. Just one of the visitor’s shots was on goal.

No. 10 Washington 1, Brown 0

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- A goal by Ian Lange in the 35th minute was enough to give Washington a 1-0 victory against Brown on Friday night. Lange's goal, his second of the year, was assisted by Brad Jacobson.

Washington held Brown without a shot on goal during the first half, and turned away all four shots on goals during the second half. Ryan Herman made his first start of the season, and posted the shutout for his first win of the year.

Josh Weiner made five saves in the loss for Brown.