Sept. 11, 2009

STORRS, Conn. - Senior forward Jill Hutchinson scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season and senior goalkeeper Laura Morse earned her second shutout of the season as No. 8 Wake Forest defeated No. 24 Penn State, 1-0 on Friday afternoon in the opening game of the UConn Classic.

With the win, the Demon Deacons are now 7-0-0 on the season, while the Nittany Lions drop to 2-4-0.

Wake Forest was able to get the only goal of the game, scoring late in the first half. Hutchinson notched her fourth game-winning goal of the year and seventh overall, finishing off a nice pass from Bianca D'Agostino, who recorded her fourth assist of the season. Hutchinson's goal also extended her streak of consecutive games with at least one point to six straight.

The goal for Hutchinson was the 29th in her illustrious Demon Deacon career. The 29 goals place her in a tie for second in school history, five goals behind Sarah Kozey, who holds the program record with 34 career goals.

The shot attempts in the game were nearly even, with Penn State attempting 20 shots, while Wake Forest had 19. The Deacs were more accurate on their attempts, getting seven shots on goal, compared to five for the Nittany Lions.

Hutchinson had a team-high eight shots for Wake Forest, while Allie Sadow attempted four shots, three of which were on goal. For Penn State, Katie Schoepfer and Danielle Toney each had four shots.

Morse was stellar in goal for Wake Forest, making five saves and earning her second clean sheet of the season to improve to 7-0. With the shutout, Morse notched her 16th shutout of her career, putting her two shutouts away from tying the school record.

Alyssa Naeher also played well in net for Penn State, making several saves to keep the Nittany Lions in the match. Naeher made six saves and allowed one goal in 90 minutes.

Each team had chances on goal in the opening minutes of the game. D'Agostino had a shot that was saved by the Penn State goalkeeper, while Schoepfer had a shot that was saved by Morse.

Wake Forest started to get the better of the play in the middle of the first half. The Deacs had several shot attempts, but only a couple that were on frame. Kaley Fountain and D'Agostino each had attempts that were saved. The best chance in the early part of the game came on D'Agostino's shot in the 16th minute. The PSU goalkeeper made a diving stop to keep the game scoreless.

The Demon Deacons scored first in the 42nd minute on Hutchinson's team-leading seventh goal of the season. D'Agostino played a pass to Hutchinson in the center of the field. Hutchinson dribbled around a defender and found the bottom right portion of the goal to put Wake in front 1-0.

The Nittany Lions had the first scoring chance of the second half, coming in the 49th minute. Maura Ryan attempted a shot, but her shot was saved by Morse.

Penn State was able to get a few shots off in the next few minutes, but none of the attempts threatened the Wake Forest goal.

Wake Forest nearly doubled its lead in the 70th minute, but the Penn State goalkeeper made an outstanding save. Sadow's shot was saved by the keeper, who made a diving stop, sending the ball over the endline for a corner.

Penn State almost tied the game in the 74th minute. Ali Schaefer had a look at the goal, but Morse was able to maker her third stop of the game.

The Nittany Lions had a chance to equalize with 10 minutes remaining. Penn State was able to generate a couple of corner kicks, but could only get one shot off, an attempt that was blocked.

Penn State had its best scoring chance of the second half in the 87th minute. Danielle Toney had a shot that appeared destined for the back of the net. However, Morse was able to extend and make a diving save, sending the ball off the post and keeping the Wake Forest lead intact.

The Demon Deacons were able to run out the rest of the clock and hold on for the 1-0 victory.

Wake Forest continues play at the UConn Classic on Sunday, facing tournament host Connecticut at 2 p.m. Live stats and a recap of the game will be available on