Division II softball: Arkansas Tech ekes out 1-0 win
RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – For the first time in the history of the program, the top-seeded Arkansas Tech Golden Suns softball team (49-9) will advance to the NCAA Central Super Regional after defeating Upper Iowa (41-18) 1-0 Saturday afternoon at the Chartwells Women's Sports Complex.
For the second day in a row, Kambri Hill hit a game-winning home run to left field, this time coming in the sixth inning that provided the only score of the game. Jalissa Gum pitched another complete-game shutout, striking out Riley Kruel for the final out to give her a third complete-game shutout victory in the tournament.
The Golden Suns will face second-seeded Southern Arkansas (49-9) in the NCAA D-II Central Super Regional next week with the winner advancing to the NCAA D-II Softball Championships. The games will be held at the Chartwells Women's Sports Complex with times and dates yet to be determined.
Regional Brackets: All 16 Printable Brackets
- Tech 6th - K. Hill homered to left field, RBI (2-1 BSB). (Tech 1, UIU 0)
- Kambri Hill led the Suns, going 1-of-2 from the plate with a solo home run, an RBI and a run scored.
- Alex Edinger and Janie Knowles each recorded two hits apiece.
- Jalissa Gum lowered her season ERA to 0.56, pitching seven scoreless innings and giving up just five hits and one walk while striking out six.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Sydnie Henson made a fantastic diving catch in left field for the first out of the frame and shifting momentum to the Suns.