No. 8 Texas Hands No. 1 Southern California First Loss Of Year At ITA Indoors
Feb. 14, 2010
Courtesy of Southern CaliforniaCHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. - The No. 1 USC men's tennis team got tagged with their first loss of the year after falling behind to No. 8 Texas in the quarterfinal round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Charlottesville, Va. USC dropped the doubles point for the first time this season to trail the Longhorns early, and the Trojans were unable to pull ahead during singles play. USC goes to 7-1 with today's loss.
USC had an unnaturally shaky outing on the doubles courts today, taking two relatively quick losses at the top two positions. McNaughton/Nguyen fell first in a 8-1 loss at No. 2, and then Texas got the first point of the day with an 8-2 win by #22 Kutrovsky/Zavala over USC's #13 Farah/Johnson at No. 1.
USC closed the gap in singles as #78 Daniel Nguyen served up a powerful straight-set upset of #38 in a 6-2, 6-1 decision that made it 1-1. But Texas had Jean Andersen had USC's Peter Lucassen his first dual-match singles loss of the year in a 6-3, 7-5 decision that put the Longhorns back ahead 2-1. USCc's #116 Jaak Poldma pulled USC even once more on a 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over Kellen Damico at the No. 3 position, only to have Texas' top-10 duo pull off winners over the Trojans at the top two singles slots. #5 Dimitar Kutrovsky upended USC's #14 Robert Farah in a three-set comeback 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-2 to put Texas ahead again 3-2. The clincher came on #9 Ed Corrie's comeback efforts against USC's top-ranked Steve Johnson, where a 3-5, 7-5, 6-3 Corrie win snapped a 12-match singles win streak held by Johnson.
No. 1 USC will now go on to face rival UCLA - ranked No. 3 in the nation - for an early-season clash between the Trojans and the Bruins in a consolation round match at the ITA National Indoors tomorrow at 9 a.m. ET in Charlottesville, Va.
ITA NATIONAL TEAM INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS (Charlottesville, Va.) Quarterfinals - Feb. 13
#8 Texas 4, #1 USC 2
(1) #22 Kutrovsky/Zavala (UT) def. #13 Farah/Johnson (USC) - 8-2
(2) Corrie/Damico (UT) def. McNaughton/Nguyen (USC) - 8-1
(3) Lucassen/Poldma (USC) vs. Andersen/Whitehead (UT) - 6-4 susp.
Texas wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1
(1) #5 Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT) def. #14 Robert Farah (USC) - 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-2
(2) #9 Ed Corrie (UT) #1 Steve Johnson (USC) - 3-6, 7-5, 6-3*
(3) #116 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Kellen Damico (UT) - 6-3, 7-6 (6)
(4) Jean Andersen (UT) def. Peter Lucassen (USC) - 6-3, 7-5
(5) #78 Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. #38 Josh Zavala (UT) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) #47 Matt Kecki (USC) vs. #104 Vasko Mladenov (UT) - 2-6, 7-6 (6) susp.
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 1, 2