Trinity (Texas) Cruises Past Carleton, 5-0
May 15, 2010
Courtesy of Trinity (Texas) Sports Information
Whitewater, Wis. - The Trinity Tigers men's tennis team opened the NCAA Division III Whitewater Regional with a 5-0 second-round victory Saturday over the Carleton College Knights.
Trinity (17-9), which won its 13th straight match, will take on the winner of Kenyon and host Wisconsin-Whitewater at noon Sunday in the third round. The winner of Sunday's match will advance to the NCAA Championships Tournament, to be held May 25-27 at Oberlin, Ohio.
The Tigers, who received a first-round bye, won three tightly played doubles matches. Bobby Cocanougher and Cory Kowal edged Dan Vollman and Winston Park 9-8 (6) at No. 1 doubles. Erick DelaFuente and Max Frey beat Peter Dunn and Paul Cooper 9-8 (5) at No. 2 doubles. Ben Carroll and Don Murray completed the sweep by defeating Austin Jiang and Jon Aranda 8-4.
Cocanougher beat Park 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2 singles. The clincher for the Tigers came at No. 4 singles, with Kowal emerging as a 6-1, 6-4 winner over Vollman.
Four of the singles matches did not finish, as the dual match was halted after the fifth point was won: No. 1, Frey vs. Dunn; No. 3, DelaFuente vs. Jiang; No. 5, Murray vs. Alexander Chin; and No. 6, Carroll vs. Cooper.
Trinity is led by first-year head coach Russell McMindes, a former Tiger standout. He was voted the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Coach of the Year, leading the Tigers to a 15th SCAC Championship. The Tigers beat DePauw 5-3 in last month's tourney at North Little Rock, Ark., and gained the NCAA automatic bid.
The Tigers are playing in their 17th NCAA Tournament, and the first since 2008. Coach Butch Newman, now Trinity's Director of Tennis, guided the Tigers to 16 straight NCAA Tournaments. Trinity's men and women captured the NCAA Championships in 2000.
TRINITY 5, CARLETON 0
1. Bobby Cocanougher/Cory Kowal, Trinity, def. Dan Vollmann/Winston Park 9-8 (6)
2. Erick DelaFuente/Max Frey, Trinity, def. Peter Dunn/Paul Cooper 9-8 (5)
3. Ben Carroll/Don Murray, Trinity, def. Austin Jiang/Jon Aranda 8-4
2. Cocanougher, Trinity, def. Park 6-1, 6-1
4. Kowal, Trinity, def. Vollman 6-1, 6-4 (clinch match)
1. Frey, Trinity, vs. Dunn, did not finishv 3. DelaFuente, Trinity, vs. Jiang, did not finish (6-2, 4-3)
5. Murray, Trinity, vs. Alexander Chin, did not finish (4-6, 3-1)
6. Carroll, Trinity, vs. Cooper, did not finish (7-5, 1-0)