COLLEGE STATION, Texas – In their final non-conference match of the regular season, the sixth-ranked Illini men’s tennis team (9-6) fell 7-0 at No. 17 Texas A&M (13-3). Three Illini played to three sets in singles, but were unable to come away with a victory in the first outdoor dual match of the year.
“I thought we played really hard today under some tough circumstances,” head coach Brad Dancer said. “The wind was unbelievable and we could have decided not to even play the match. Texas A&M is a great team though. I saw some improvement in doubles and [Brian] Alden and [Johnny] Hamui looked like a No. 1 team so hopefully they will continue to play like that down the stretch. We’ll evaluate what adjustments to make and are looking forward to getting back into Big Ten play.”
Senior Abe Souza and sophomores Stephen Hoh and Bruno Abdelnour each claimed a set at Nos. 3-5 singles for the Illini, but the Aggies prevailed in the final round to record the win.
#17 Texas A&M 7, #6 Illinois 0
1. No. 38 Austin Krajicek (TAMU) def. No. 62 Johnny Hamui (ILL) 6-0, 7-6
2. No. 55 Jeff Dadamo (TAMU) def. Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) 7-6, 6-4
3. Alexey Grigorov (TAMU) def. No. 65 Abe Souza (ILL) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
4. No. 80 Alexis Klegou (TAMU) def. Stephen Hoh (ILL) 6-7, 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Alberto Bautista (TAMU) def. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Niall Angus (TAMU) def. Brian Alden (ILL) 6-1, 6-3
1. No. 3 Austin Krajicek/Jeff Dadamo (TAMU) def. Brian Alden/Johnny Hamui (ILL) 8-5
2. Alexey Grigorov/Junior Ore (TAMU) def. Dennis Nevolo/Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) 8-5
3. No. 45 Colin Hoover/Alberto Bautista (TAMU) def. Abe Souza/Stephen Hoh (ILL) 8-6