No. 10 Illini Roll Past Penn State
Nevolo, Hoh each collect 20th win of season in straight sets
URBANA, Ill. - No. 10 Illinois was dominant Friday afternoon in a 7-0 shutout of Penn State at Atkins Tennis Center. All six Illini won in straight sets in singles, highlighted by No. 7 Dennis Nevolo and Stephen Hoh each earning their team-best 20th win of the season.
"I think it was a good match after some time off," head coach Brad Dancer said. "Doubles still isn't there yet. We've got to get a lot more confident in doubles in terms of what we're seeing in practice. In singles, I think we did what we needed to do. We still have to take matters into our own hands a little bit more and be a little bit more commanding in our performances. This team's goal is to win a Big Ten title so the expectations are high."
In doubles, Hoh and senior Abe Souza outlasted the Nittany Lion tandem of Jason Lee and C.J. Griffin to clinch the point for the Illini (10-6, 2-0 Big Ten). With the match tied at five, Hoh and Souza rattled off three consecutive games to secure their first doubles win of the season as partners.
The momentum carried over into singles where the Illini took swift control of each match and never looked back. No. 78 senior Johnny Hamui tallied his 12th win of the year, while junior Roy Kalmanovich picked up his ninth, No. 64 Souza claimed his 17th victory and sophomore Bruno Abdelnour recorded his career-high 11th win on the year.
Penn State dropped to 10-9 overall and 0-2 in league with the loss.
No. 10 Illinois 7, Penn State 0
1. No. 7 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 78 Johnny Hamui (ILL) def. Jason Lee (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Stephen Hoh (ILL) def. Russell Bader (PSU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3)
5. No. 64 Abe Souza (ILL) def. Christopher Hasyn (PSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) def. Chris Young (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Eddie Bourchier/Russell Bader (PSU) def. Johnny Hamui/Brian Alden (ILL) 8-4
2. Abe Souza/Stephen Hoh (ILL) def. Jason Lee/C.J. Griffin (PSU) 8-5
3. Dennis Nevolo/Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Bryan Welnetz/Christopher Hasyn (PSU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,6,5,2,4)