W. Fla. ends strong regular season
Argonauts start fast in doubles before rolling New Orleans
PENSACOLA, Fla. – No. 8 West Florida closed regular-season play with a 9-0 win against New Orleans on Sunday. With the win, the Argonauts improved to 18-8 overall heading into the Gulf South Conference Tournament on April 16-17.
The Argonauts started with strong play in doubles, as sophomore Leandro Ferreira and junior Andrey Pozhidaev, the No. 10 doubles team in Division II, picked up an 8-4 win at the No. 1 position.
In singles play, the Argonauts dropped just two total sets to the Privateers. Pozhidaev and junior Sean Gunnels won at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, respectively, with each taking three-set tiebreakers. The rest of UWF’s singles lineup won in straight sets, including freshman Domenico Sano earning a 6-0, 6-0 victory at the No. 4 spot.
No. 8 West Florida 9, New Orleans 0
1. No. 27 Andrey Pozhidaev (UWF) def. Benjamin Bouhana (UNO) 4-6, 7-6, 10-6
2. Sean Gunnels (UWF) def. Vinay Kamineni (UNO) 6-4, 2-6, 11-9
3. Mike Lue (UWF) def. Hossam Meligy (UNO-M) 6-4, 6-1
4. Domenico Sano (UWF) def. Rohit Chivukula (UNO-M) 6-0, 6-0
5. Guilherme Canineo (UWF) def. Joshua Marx (UNO-M) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mallory Leighty (UWF) def. Oliver Grimbly (UNO-M) 7-5, 6-3
1. No. 10 Leandro Ferreira/Andrey Pozhidaev (UWF) def. Benjamin Bouhana/Hossam Meligy (UNO) 8-4
2. Domenico Sano/Sean Gunnels (UWF) def. Vinay Kamineni/Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) 8-4
3. Mike Lue/Lukas Larsson (UWF) def. Oliver Grimbly/Rohit Chivukula (UNO) 8-3